Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't link to networks with hyphen in the name?

MykeWo
Aspirant

Can't link to networks with hyphen in the name?

Can anybody please explain why I couldn't get my Orbi RBR20 to hook up to a name with a hyphen in it?

I updated my firmware and the system shut down. Had to go through a complete factory reset, delete the app, and start over to get anything to work.

When I wanted the app to finally merge the Orbi to the home network, it would not work. Not from my iPhone, iPad or computer. 

The problem seems to be that I was trying to connect to my 5G network, named HomeNetwork-5G. 

The app easily connected to HomeNetwork. But it took me two hours to cycle through all of my attempts to get it to connect before I tried that.

HomeNetwork-5G is what my Netgear modem named the network, btw, so it's doubly annoying. I'd still like to connect it to my 5G and not my 2.4 if I can.

Help?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MykeWo
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

"Is your netgear router what your Orbi router connected to?"

Yes.

"Are you trying to name the Orbi SSID the same as the Netgear router?"

I don't know what this means... should I? The app just asks what I want to name the network and tells me to name it the same as my current set-up. So I tried to connect it to the 5G network that everything is attached to. 

"Orbi only has only one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. You can name it to whatever you want up to 32 characters. Your 5Ghz devices will connect 5Ghz if in range and your 2.4Ghz devices will connect 2.4 Ghz." 

I knew the Orbi would do this, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't choking everything down to 2.4Ghz by naming it the same as our 2.4Ghz network. It doesn't do this, btw. It finds the 5Ghz network just fine. I'm honestly surprised this isn't clearly spelled out given that these are both Netgear products.

And I couldn't name it whatever I wanted -- the name seems to be the main problem. Once I changed it, it was fine.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

Can you offer more info?

Is your netgear router what your Orbi router connected to?

Are you trying to name the Orbi SSID the same as the Netgear router?

Orbo only has only one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. You can name it to whatever you want up to 32 characters. Your 5Ghz devices will connect 5Ghz if in range and your 2.4Ghz devices will connect 2.4 Ghz.

Message 2 of 3
MykeWo
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

"Is your netgear router what your Orbi router connected to?"

Yes.

"Are you trying to name the Orbi SSID the same as the Netgear router?"

I don't know what this means... should I? The app just asks what I want to name the network and tells me to name it the same as my current set-up. So I tried to connect it to the 5G network that everything is attached to. 

"Orbi only has only one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. You can name it to whatever you want up to 32 characters. Your 5Ghz devices will connect 5Ghz if in range and your 2.4Ghz devices will connect 2.4 Ghz." 

I knew the Orbi would do this, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't choking everything down to 2.4Ghz by naming it the same as our 2.4Ghz network. It doesn't do this, btw. It finds the 5Ghz network just fine. I'm honestly surprised this isn't clearly spelled out given that these are both Netgear products.

And I couldn't name it whatever I wanted -- the name seems to be the main problem. Once I changed it, it was fine.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7