Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't move throughout my house without having to reconnect

encrawford
Tutor

Can't move throughout my house without having to reconnect

I have an RBR40 and two satellite RBS20 units. I have great bandwidth throughout my entire three-story house as long as I don't switch locations. However if I walk from the basement to the third floor with my iPhone I have no coverage on the iPhone. Same holds true for an iPad. However if when arriving at the new location I turn off Wi-Fi temporarily on the device and turn it back on it will reconnect to the best or be satellite or main router based upon my location. Once it reconnects I have great bandwidth again.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar and if yes were you able to solve it.

Message 1 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you please provide more information about the configuration.

How large is each floor?

Where are the router and two satellites located?

Thanks

Message 2 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you have the Orbi "app" on either the iPhone or iPad?  When a device is connected, under "Device Management" it will show the "Link Rate".  Does it drop to zero as you move (slowly) from one location to another?

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, and beamforming enabled on the RBR?

@encrawford wrote:

I have an RBR40 and two satellite RBS20 units. I have great bandwidth throughout my entire three-story house as long as I don't switch locations. However if I walk from the basement to the third floor with my iPhone I have no coverage on the iPhone. Same holds true for an iPad. However if when arriving at the new location I turn off Wi-Fi temporarily on the device and turn it back on it will reconnect to the best or be satellite or main router based upon my location. Once it reconnects I have great bandwidth again.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar and if yes were you able to solve it.

Message 4 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

See attached house layout with the location of the Orbi units marked

Message 5 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

I do have the app and will check this out tonight.

Message 6 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

I have the most current firmware on the obri devices and the modem is an Arris SB6183

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Is the two RBS on each floor siting on top of each other in relation to the floor plan or at different locations from each other in the home? 

Message 8 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the drawings.

1. Are any of the "options" present in the actual build?
  2. Any idea what material is in the floors?
    i.e. are they renforced concrete slab, or wooden joists and flooring?

Is there a specific point or points where the signal seems to "disappear"?

Message 9 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I did a brief search for an Apple HeatMap app and was unsuccessful.  There was one comment that Apple had made changes to the operating system which made HeatMap programs impossible.  I did my original HeatMaps hauling my laptop around and the later ones with an Android app.  Found the tablet a lot easier to balance.

Message 10 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

I have attached a document showing a bunch of stats for the various connections.  For this test I started in the basement office(which is on the other side of the basement from the router) and moved to the router room then moved to the upstairs master bedroom (the location of satellite 2).  As you can tell from the information once my iPhone connects the speeds are quite nice.  The issue is that it won't connect without power cycling the Wi-Fi on the iPhone when I move to a new location.
Someone asked the floor material.  Under the basement its cement and its wooden floor joist under the first and second floors.  Additionally the first floor is hardwood throughout.
Additionally, there are 18 devices attached to my network.  Might sound like a lot but by today's standards I'd consider it an average house.
I'm wondering if I should enable fast roaming?  I've talked several times to Netgear tech support and they haven't offered it up but I've done a lot more research now.  Has anyone enabled this option?  The downside is with Internet calling enabled on my cell phone if I wander around the house I'm guaranteed to drop the call but I don't very often wonder while on a call.
Message 11 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@encrawford wrote:

I'm wondering if I should enable fast roaming?

Oh, gosh, yes.  What do you have to lose?  DO IT!

Message 12 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Not to seem prejudiced, but do other WiFi devices display the same behavior as the iPhone?  i.e. Do you have a friend with an Android phone or tablet?  Anyone with a WiFi laptop?  Devices like smart plugs, TV's, printers, thermostats, security cameras, etc. cannot "roam".

My thought is the iPhone must not be losing WiFi completely, or it would automatically reconnect just as it does when leaving the area and then returning.

Message 13 of 19
ekhalil
Master

1. It can help to check which band the device will be on when it looses the connection while roaming.
2. Do you have “Auto Join” enabled in iPhone for your home network?
Message 14 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

Yes, "auto join" is turned on 

Message 15 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

and the "Fast Roaming" as well?

Message 16 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

yes. fast roaming is enabled

Message 17 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Which band the device is on when it looses the connection while roaming. 2.4 or 5 GHz, or both?
Message 18 of 19
encrawford
Tutor

Fingers crossed but I think I finally found a solution. It's very counterintuitive but so far so good. I ended up changing the Wi-Fi broadcast strength down to 50%. My house is fairly large so it just seemed counterintuitive as mentioned above but I'm on day three of no issues which I've never had before.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7