Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't reach Synology server on wired connection - any suggestions?

wanderer168
Aspirant

Can't reach Synology server on wired connection - any suggestions?

Hi all, I'm new to networking, so I'm sure my issue is probably something simple that I'm overlooking - thus I'm hoping for some quick advice:

My setup currently: I have a Nighthawk R7000 router on which I connect 4 hardwired devices, one of which is an HP Windows 10 Desktop and an Orbi RBR20 Router (which has 2 satellites).  The R7000 has wifi turned off, and all my wireless devices connect via the Orbi mesh. The R7000 is on a 192.168.1.1 network, but the Orbi (when I set it up) in order not to cause a conflict, put all wireless devices on a 172.16.0.1 subnet.  Now, connected via wired ethernet into the Orbi is a Synology DS1511+ server.  

(Rough image attached of my setup)

Everything basically works fine, except my Windows Desktop cannot access the Synology server.  I am assuming it is because the 2 devices are not on the same subnet.  But the Orbi won't let me change it to the same subnet as the R7000 as it'll "conflict" with the R7000.

What are my options to allow my wired windows machine to "talk" to the Synology server?  What simple thing am I missing?

Thanks for the input.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't reach Synology server on wired connection - any suggestions?

Since you want to keep the R7000 router, the quickest and easiest solution is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  Connect to the Orbi web interface with a web browser and Navigate to Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router / AP Mode.

When the Orbi is in AP mode, the R7000 will assign IP addresses to everything, including the Orbi itself, its satellites, and every device connected to the Orbi.  One subnet for everything.

I would suggest assigning the Synology server a specific IP address in the R7000 tables so that once devices learn where it is, it doesn't "move" (after a power failure, for example, when everything requests DHCP addresses at one time.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Since you want to keep the R7000 router, the quickest and easiest solution is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  Connect to the Orbi web interface with a web browser and Navigate to Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router / AP Mode.

When the Orbi is in AP mode, the R7000 will assign IP addresses to everything, including the Orbi itself, its satellites, and every device connected to the Orbi.  One subnet for everything.

I would suggest assigning the Synology server a specific IP address in the R7000 tables so that once devices learn where it is, it doesn't "move" (after a power failure, for example, when everything requests DHCP addresses at one time.)

Message 2 of 3
wanderer168
Aspirant

Thanks! Makes sense and worked like a charm.  Live and learn I guess 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7