Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't reset satellite RBS50

BasilB
Aspirant

Can't reset satellite RBS50

My RBS50 has been working fine with wired backhaul but I wanted to move it. When I did though i couldn't get it to reconnect to the network. After trying a few things I decided to remove it from the network and factory reset it to start again. The trouble is it won't do a factory reset. I use the paperclip for over 2 minutes and the LED stays on green. Now I am stuck at getting it paired again. Any suggestions?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't reset satellite RBS50

This is interesting.  There is a tiny microswitch on the printed circuit board behind the tiny "Reset" hole.  When the paperclip is inserted, there should be a distinct "click" as the switch is pressed.  (Not a LOUD click, almost more of a feeling than a sound.)

If you have deleted the satellite, then it should be able to sync again without a factory reset.  Have you tried the steps on the web interface to "Add a Satellite"?  (Bottom item on the main menu.)

Message 2 of 8
BasilB
Aspirant

Yes I'm positive it's clicking correctly. Tried it with the power on and also tried it by turning it on with the reset button pressed.
I also tried doing an add new device and that didn't work. The top LED should be flashing when trying to pair but there is nothing. The power LED stays constant green.

This is really annoying as it should have been a 5 minute job that I've now spent hours on.
Message 3 of 8
BasilB
Aspirant

I rang the warranty support phone number and the recorded message says they will charge me for diagnosis as it is outside the 90 day "free" troubleshooting period. Device was bought in April 2019.

Is that even legal in Australia? 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 5 of 8
BasilB
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Nup that didn't work. Tried it a couple of times.

Message 6 of 8
BasilB
Aspirant

Just noticed that I can see the satellite under devices. It is connected as Sync_ in 2.4ghz. Does that give me a clue on how to get it unstuck? Stuck in sync mode although there are no halo lights?
Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Although the 'support' period is 90 days, the product warranty is 1 year. I think it's time to ask for a replacement under warranty.  Suggest contacting one of the forum moderators to learn the correct procedure.

@Blanca_O 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7