Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't reset security questions

fury88
Star

Can't reset security questions

Hello all,

I can't seem to reset my security questions. I've tried 3 different browsers and when I hit apply it does nothing. I've logged out and logged back in and they are the same questions I set up. Am I not allowed to change them?

The odd thing is when I forget my password and go to reset it, these questions come up and I answer them correctly but it always says they're wrong. Thankfully, I've been able to remember the password eventually.

-Matt

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't reset security questions

@fury88 wrote:
Ugh. Ok, thanks for the reply. So do I lose any settings if I backup and restore afterwards? Resetting is such a pain and takes the internet offline for 30 mins. Never a good time to do that in my household! 🤣

Yes, a Factory Reset erases all settings.  It is a struggle to find a time for this that will not affect the family.

I just reset the security questions on my Orbi.  The key step is that the new password fields must be filled in.  When I tried to change security questions without entering a new password, they did not "take."

I did not actually change the password.  I entered the original password into both of the new password fields.  What matters is that there is something in those input fields.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could try a simple factory reset and reinstall. 

then during setup, you can set the questions you want. 

Message 2 of 7
terrysgoble
Aspirant

@fury88 wrote:

Hello all,

I can't seem to reset my security questions. I've tried 3 different browsers and when I hit apply it does nothing. I've logged out and logged back in and they are the same questions I set up. Am I not allowed to change them?

The odd thing is when I forget my password and go to reset it, these questions come up and I answer them correctly but it always says they're wrong. Thankfully, I've been able to remember the password eventually.

-Matt

I think reset will work. 1st reset or formet it and then reinstall it . Hope it will works.

Message 3 of 7
fury88
Star

Ugh. Ok, thanks for the reply. So do I lose any settings if I backup and restore afterwards? Resetting is such a pain and takes the internet offline for 30 mins. Never a good time to do that in my household! 🤣
Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@fury88 wrote:

Yes, a Factory Reset erases all settings.  It is a struggle to find a time for this that will not affect the family.

I just reset the security questions on my Orbi.  The key step is that the new password fields must be filled in.  When I tried to change security questions without entering a new password, they did not "take."

I did not actually change the password.  I entered the original password into both of the new password fields.  What matters is that there is something in those input fields.

Message 5 of 7
fury88
Star

This works. I’m accepting your solution with the clarification that you do NOT need to reset settings. Your point of adding your old password and putting the same password in the “new password” section allowed me to change the security questions.
I think this is a bug but I would understand at least putting in your current password to validation.
Thanks for the tip!!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7