Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't update satellite firmware?

Can't update satellite firmware?

I just purchased the system this evening and I'm working to set them up. While Ive been able to update the router to v1.3.0.12 via automatic update, it looks like the satellite has not been updated and is still at the release firmware of v1.1.0.16.

Online update doesn't work - From orbi login status stays at "Please wait a moment..." and doesnt change.

Attempting to manually update the satellite fails as well. The net gear site'/ most recent available firmware is (oddly enough) 1.2.0.6 - Not the more current firmware available from online update. Even when I download this one, when I try to manually update I'm told it's not a valid firmware package.

Definitely could use some help here.
Message 1 of 19

so in the auto update it should be saying there is fw available for the sat

tick the box next to the sat and then click on up[date all

this should open a second wondow to then allow you to update the sat separatly

pete

Message 2 of 19
dogedaddy
Initiate

This is the worst product I have ever bought and here is why. The Orbi setup was ok, the software is a bit antiquated and the mobile app is very old. After getting everything up and running I received a notification that there was a firmware update. After a few tries the router finally updated but the Satellite kept giving me this message: "please wait a moment" I tried using 3 different computers with 5 different browsers and I waited over 30 minutes each time and nothing happened. It would not let me manually upgrade the firmware either and the firmware version posted on the Netgear website is different than the latest version available from the automatic download.

This prompted me to place a support call for my brand new Orbi that I paid $472 for yesterday. The technician was incompetent and did not listen to what I was telling him. He took over my computer and tried to do exactly what I had already done a number of times. After him failing to resolve the issue he told me that he was going to have to open a support ticket with a technician which would be a cost to me. This is without a doubt the worst support experience I have ever had in my life and I say that after buying hundreds of IT products and logging dozens of support calls in my lifetime. I cannot believe that Netgear wants to charge me to resolve a problem that they created and are unable to solve.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to update the satellite to the same Firmware I have on the router?

Message 3 of 19
rhester72
Virtuoso

Instead of allowing it to download the firmware, try downloading the firmware yourself (to your local computer) and then going to the Manual Update tab and updating the satellite from there via file.  This was a known issue with the release firmware from what I've read, but I haven't had any issues since the initial update.

Rodney

Message 4 of 19
rjbones
Guide

Hi,

You may follow the steps here on how to manually update the satellite's firmware: 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31421?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

You just have to get the satellite's IP addres from the Orbi router's Attached devices page

Message 5 of 19

manual download is not available yet on the orbi web site

Message 6 of 19
rjbones
Guide

It is there :

If you use the search box, type the kit model RBK50

Message 7 of 19

thats for V1.2.0.6

we are talking about the new Firmware update V1.3.0.12

which isnt available for manual download yet

Message 8 of 19
rjbones
Guide

Nope, it is the latest one 

Here is the link again 🙂

Message 9 of 19

@rjbones wrote:

Nope, it is the latest one 

Here is the link again 🙂

thats the right one

the link you posted earlier was for the older fw

was told this wouldnt be available till later in the week

but netgear was quick lol

Message 10 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone 

What @rjbones and @peteytesting is saying is the best thing to do if your having issues updating the firmware from the gui you will want to visit the support page and manually load the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 19

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Everyone 

What @rjbones and @peteytesting is saying it the best thing to do if your having issues updating the firmware from the gui you will want to visit the support page and manually load the firmware.

DarrenM

and as per the instructions its best to update the sat first and then the router if choosing to do the update manually

pete

Message 12 of 19
kevsev
Aspirant

Not sure where everyone is looking.  Latest firmware version for the Satelite is available at.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmwar...

Message 13 of 19
dogedaddy
Initiate

Thanks everyone. I was aware of these steps the day I posted this question. The problem back then was that the firmware available to download was an older version than the web update. Netgear has updated this. All at that time I was getting an error on the manual page.
Message 14 of 19
ldyork
Aspirant

Satellite will not allow me to log in using the router user name and password so I can update the firmware on it.  It is connected and works fine, however.

Message 15 of 19
mylumnad
Initiate

I had the same exact issue. I fixed it doing this. Log into your Netgear portal/Orbilogin.com Click Advanced, Setup, WAN Setup. Change MTU Size to 1492. Apply and then after it is finished, unplug modem and Orbi router for 60 seconds. This100% fixed it for me. Best wishes!

Message 16 of 19
ldyork
Aspirant

I was finally able to log in to the satellite and successfully updated the firmware.  I have no idea why I couldn't do it initially.

Message 17 of 19
kchester
Initiate

I did exactly as you said and I am still unable to login to the satellite to manually update, using the exact same password I used to login to the router.  Aren't the passwords for the satellite and router suposed to sync?  I changed the password on the router after initial setup.  I did not keep the sticker with the factory password.  network is up, but since I am unable to upgrade the firmware I can't use all of the orbi features.  Any other advice?

Message 18 of 19
kchester
Initiate

nevermind.  i guess even if you change the password on the router the satellite still has a password of 'password'

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7