Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't upgrade from Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware 1.3.0.26

fatpearl
Aspirant

Can't upgrade from Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware 1.3.0.26

How to I properly go from 1.3.0.26 to 2.3.1.60 (current version)?  I can't seem to update my firmware from v 1.3.0.26.  downloading 2.2.1.212 causes an error message "Please select the correct file configuration."  Earlier versions will download but I get an error message when trying to install, telling me the file I've selected is out of date.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, to get from v1.x to v2x on any Orbi system, please download v2.0.0.74 FW files for RBS and RBR. Apply the RBS first, then RBR. Then you can upgrade to the most current version via v212 on the RBR. You can go directly to v60 on the RBS first. Then applly on the RBR lastly. 

@fatpearl wrote:

How to I properly go from 1.3.0.26 to 2.3.1.60 (current version)?  I can't seem to update my firmware from v 1.3.0.26.  downloading 2.2.1.212 causes an error message "Please select the correct file configuration."  Earlier versions will download but I get an error message when trying to install, telling me the file I've selected is out of date.  

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'll need to manually update to the 2.2.1.212 version. Make sure you manually download the firmware (rbr for router and rbs for satellite) and follow the manual install procedure listed in the release notes.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

In my opinion, Netgear's documentation does not explain the process very well.  The easiest path is to use a computer that is "wired" to the Orbi.

Step 1.  Download the firmware files for versions "212" and "60" for both satellite and router:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.2.1.212.zip  (for the router)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.2.1.212.zip  (for the satellite)

and

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.3.1.60.zip    (for the router)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.3.1.60.zip   (for the satellite)

Step 2.  "Extract" the "img" files from each zip file.

Step 3.  Connect via web browser to each satellite (if you have more than one), select Firmware Update, browse to the location of the "212" img file, and upload it.

Step 4. Connect via web browser to the router, select the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update, and click on the "Manual" tab.  Brose to the 212 "img" file for the router, and upload it.

(There is probably a "reset" about now to get the satellite(s) and router activated on "212".)

Step 5.  Now that the satellite(s) and router are successfully on version 212, repeat the process with the latest version.  Start with the satellite(s) and finish with the router.

Step 6.  Perform a "factory reset" on the router (paperclip, etc.) and set it up from scratch.

These steps are explained (probably better) in a lot of posts.  It is a CHORE.  But, when finished results in the Orbi at the most current release with a "clean" setup.

Message 3 of 8
fatpearl
Aspirant

The problem is that when I try to manually update the firmware from 1.3.0.26 to "212," I get all the way to selecting (via the 'Upload Update File' window) the file for the satellite firmware update to upload ('RBS50-V2.2.1.212.img' file within the zip file downloaded, as per instructions), I get an error message that says 'Please select correct configuration file.' and an "OK" button to click.  I click "OK" since it's the only option, and I'm right back to the 'Locate and select the update file on your device.' on the original 'Upload Update File" window.

I'm direct-wired, followed all of the instructions, but get stuck at the point I"m supposed to select the 212 firmware update img file for the satellite.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry if I am missing something, but the "img" file has to be extracted from the zip file.  Orbi is looking for a file with the extension "img", not "zip".

Message 5 of 8
fatpearl
Aspirant

I know.  The update is downloaded to my mac as a zip file, which I have to open to extract the needed img file.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This may be a case where the "mind is faster than the Mac".  i.e. it is waiting for you to click on the file name that has been extracted before clicking on "OK".  (I have no Mac, but...) not only does the zip file have to be "opened", but the file has to be explicitly "extracted" from the zip file.  (or... maybe I just do not understand Mac's)

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, to get from v1.x to v2x on any Orbi system, please download v2.0.0.74 FW files for RBS and RBR. Apply the RBS first, then RBR. Then you can upgrade to the most current version via v212 on the RBR. You can go directly to v60 on the RBS first. Then applly on the RBR lastly. 

@fatpearl wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7