Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't upgrade my firmware (to V2.2.1.20)

Gummo
Guide

Can't upgrade my firmware (to V2.2.1.20)

Trying to upgrade firmware for RBK50 (AC3000) kit - router and satelite - from original V1.8.0.6 to the latest V2.2.1.20.   Auto update reports that V1.8.0.6 is the latest version and when Manual upgrade is actioned the V2.2.1.20.img file (from the downloaded .zip) is not recognised!   Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   Z

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Gary_A
Guide

Re: Can't upgrade my firmware (to V2.2.1.20)

To complete the firmware upgrade I had to first do several of the firmwares before the current. Pick one that is a few above your version and see if it takes it. If not go one above your version. At some point one of them allowed me to go to the latest so you won’t have to do everyone between your current version and the latest. Fustrating process but it got me to current.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 2 of 15

All Replies
Gary_A
Guide

To complete the firmware upgrade I had to first do several of the firmwares before the current. Pick one that is a few above your version and see if it takes it. If not go one above your version. At some point one of them allowed me to go to the latest so you won’t have to do everyone between your current version and the latest. Fustrating process but it got me to current.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

First download v2.0.0.74 and v210 for both router and satellite(s). While you have the satellites connected, send the v.74 file to the satellites first, then send the file to the router. Once both of those are updated and back online, send the v210 FW to the satellites, then send the FW to the router. Should be updated and working then. A reboot of the entire system should be done after completing the FW upgrade process. 

@Gummo wrote:

Trying to upgrade firmware for RBK50 (AC3000) kit - router and satelite - from original V1.8.0.6 to the latest V2.2.1.20.   Auto update reports that V1.8.0.6 is the latest version and when Manual upgrade is actioned the V2.2.1.20.img file (from the downloaded .zip) is not recognised!   Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   Z

Message 3 of 15
Gummo
Guide

Thank you both Gary_A and FURRYe38.

I installed V2.0.0.74 as suggested on both the S & R - and after a reboot and resync - I was 'cooking with gas'!   As I logged back into the Router the firmware update menu gave me the option of updating to V2.2.1.20!   Excellent....    Appreciation and Kudos to both of you.   Gummo  

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Gummo wrote:

Thank you both Gary_A and FURRYe38.

I installed V2.0.0.74 as suggested on both the S & R - and after a reboot and resync - I was 'cooking with gas'!   As I logged back into the Router the firmware update menu gave me the option of updating to V2.2.1.20!   Excellent....    Appreciation and Kudos to both of you.   Gummo  

Message 5 of 15
Gummo
Guide

Thanks for the veery helpful advice but after updating this F/W is just not good enough!   With V2.2.1.20 my download speed dropped from a steady 220mbps (excellent in the UK) to a jittery 86mbps (at best)!   Have now rolled back to V1.8.0.6 and my speed is back to its previous level!   After looking through previous NC postings about Orbi F/W rollouts, from V2.0 onwards, is it possible that V2.2.1.20 is another 'iffy' product in the real world?   I love the kit but..................     Gummo

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you done a full factory erase on the router and setup from scratch and walk thru the setup wizard? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing with a wire connected PC to the router? 

@Gummo wrote:

Thanks for the veery helpful advice but after updating this F/W is just not good enough!   With V2.2.1.20 my download speed dropped from a steady 220mbps (excellent in the UK) to a jittery 86mbps (at best)!   Have now rolled back to V1.8.0.6 and my speed is back to its previous level!   After looking through previous NC postings about Orbi F/W rollouts, from V2.0 onwards, is it possible that V2.2.1.20 is another 'iffy' product in the real world?   I love the kit but..................     Gummo

Message 7 of 15
Gary_A
Guide

Sorry to hear about the firmware not performing. I’m on the current firmware with no impact to speed and other then some minor quirky device connectivity issues it has been stable for me. I upgraded the same way you did so I must have lucked out. As suggested you may try the factory reset solution which sounds like helps with the current firmware.
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Gummo wrote:

Message 9 of 15
Gummo
Guide

I'll wait for the next key F/W update before I try again.  It could have been a dodgy download of V2.2.1.20 to a memory stick or a glitch during the unzipping/transfer/upgrade process.     As it was such a hassle to roll back to V1.8 (which is still stable) I'll take a raincheck this time around!   Thanks for you help and advice Garry_A and FURRYe38  - very much appreciated.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't use a memory stick to download FW files too. Files should be downloaded directly to a wired PC connected to the router. Use this PC to send the FW files too the satellite and router. Also do a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. Do not update FW and continue to use the system with out doing the reset. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 15
Gummo
Guide

Sorry badly explained for brevity!   The f/w upgrade was via a wired connection to the RBR.   The f/w was first downloaded in .zip form on one wired PC some distance from the RBR and then copied to a USB stick.  It was then copied to, unzipped on, and installed via a very slow netbook, with a wired connection to the RBR.     Anyway, I've tried to reinstall yet again (to replace the rolled back V1.8.0.6) but this time having downloaded the files from the NG web page directly to the very slow wired laptop.   Both the RBS & RBR updates (in that order) went through OK.   I then factory reset both the RBR & RBS and reconfigured the setup from scratch.   Unfortunately, my speed is still no better with 90mbps max; rather than the previous (with V1.8.0.6) steady 200+mbps.   Any advice on what to do next with the V2.2.1.210 install or should I roll back to V1.8.0.6 again?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Gummo wrote:

Sorry badly explained for brevity!   The f/w upgrade was via a wired connection to the RBR.   The f/w was first downloaded in .zip form on one wired PC some distance from the RBR and then copied to a USB stick.  It was then copied to, unzipped on, and installed via a very slow netbook, with a wired connection to the RBR.     Anyway, I've tried to reinstall yet again (to replace the rolled back V1.8.0.6) but this time having downloaded the files from the NG web page directly to the very slow wired laptop.   Both the RBS & RBR updates (in that order) went through OK.   I then factory reset both the RBR & RBS and reconfigured the setup from scratch.   Unfortunately, my speed is still no better with 90mbps max; rather than the previous (with V1.8.0.6) steady 200+mbps.   Any advice on what to do next with the V2.2.1.210 install or should I roll back to V1.8.0.6 again?

Message 13 of 15
Gummo
Guide

Hi FURRYe38 -    Problem resolved! After the 4th 'phonecall to my ISP we've tracked down the cause. The cable from the ISP modem to the Orbi router was to blame.   It was either faulty or a fake (it is marked as being CAT6A) as they could see from their checks that it was not capable of transfer speeds greater than 100mbps!   I've swapped in another Cat6 cable and we're now up to speed (220mbps)!   Not certain why I could get this speed under V1.8.0.6 but happy to have it back with V2.2.1.20.    Thanks very much for your help.    Gummo   

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious what is the Mfr and model if your ISP modem. 

Whas this cable the one that came in the box with the Orbi or supplied from else where. 

Glad it was a cable issue. I presume v210 will be fine as well. 

@Gummo wrote:

Hi FURRYe38 -    Problem resolved! After the 4th 'phonecall to my ISP we've tracked down the cause. The cable from the ISP modem to the Orbi router was to blame.   It was either faulty or a fake (it is marked as being CAT6A) as they could see from their checks that it was not capable of transfer speeds greater than 100mbps!   I've swapped in another Cat6 cable and we're now up to speed (220mbps)!   Not certain why I could get this speed under V1.8.0.6 but happy to have it back with V2.2.1.20.    Thanks very much for your help.    Gummo   

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7