Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't verify account on new phone

dingoace10
Aspirant

Can't verify account on new phone

Hello,

Ever since I got a new phone the Netgear app is unable to verify my log in.  I can login, but then get to the screen attempting to push something to my phone to verify the phone.  Nothing.  Then I attempt to verify by the email and I never receive the email.  I have deleted the app multiple times and reinstalled it but still can't get verified.  Is there a way around this issue?

Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi App product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi App and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@dingoace10 wrote:

Hello,

Ever since I got a new phone the Netgear app is unable to verify my log in.  I can login, but then get to the screen attempting to push something to my phone to verify the phone.  Nothing.  Then I attempt to verify by the email and I never receive the email.  I have deleted the app multiple times and reinstalled it but still can't get verified.  Is there a way around this issue?

Thanks!

Does the new phone have the same telephone number as the previous phone?

Does this account have two factor authentication enabled?

Message 3 of 7
dingoace10
Aspirant

Yes, same phone number and same provider.  Just upgraded my iphone.

I think two factor is enabled, but not sure...Where can I check that?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@dingoace10 wrote:

Yes, same phone number and same provider.  Just upgraded my iphone.

I think two factor is enabled, but not sure...Where can I check that?

Thanks!

This seems like a "Catch 22".  Two-factory authentication is part of the Orbi app. Set up in the app under Account Management.  If the app will not open, then there is no way to get to that section.  (Confession: every time I open that section of the app and start to enable Two Factor authentication, I hesitate and say, "maybe not yet.")

My guess is that the Netgear cloud is attempting to send a text message to your phone number which will have a code to enter or icon to press. Do you remember that happening with the old phone?  Not being familiar with iPhones, I have no idea if there are any "settings" in iPhones regarding SMS messages that might be blocking a text from Netgear. Obviously your Netgear login and password work because you got to the forum. The only thing that "changed" is the phone itself.

I also have no idea what happens if you do a Factory Reset, delete and reload the app, and then try to do a New Setup.  (Another confession: I always set up routers using the web interface.)

Looks like I am no help at all.

Message 5 of 7
dingoace10
Aspirant

I don't remember turning on 2FA but I may have.  I don't remember this ever happening on the old phone, but may have never logged me out.

It is not attempting to send a text, it is attempting to send a push notification to my phone to verify it (which is weird, would rather the text).  I have ALL notifications enabled for this app, so it's not that.

I also select, "try another verification method" (which is email), but I never recieve the email.  This is a complete issue on the Netgear side but I can't seem to get it solved.

I can log into the web login so I can at least admin the orbi, but the app is so much better/easier to use.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

This situation is so far beyond my competence.  I can only suggest two ways forward:

1. Post the problem in the community forum for the Orbi app and hope that someone who watches that forum has a solution, or
  2. Contact a forum moderator and ask that they remove two-factory authentication from your Orbi. (by clicking on the screen name of a moderator - moderators have a 'capital N' after their name where the reset of us have a cute symbol). Include information that should not be posted on a public forum, such as who you are, the serial number of the Orbi, etc.

The Orbi app forum is at:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7