Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can the Orbi Satellites be set up as wired ACCESS POINTS instead of WIFI MESH?

RVKHK
Follower

Can the Orbi Satellites be set up as wired ACCESS POINTS instead of WIFI MESH?

I live in a concrete apartment in Hong Kong and the walls are thick concrete with iron rebar between them so wifi cannot pass through them no matter how close the satellites are to the router and the signal cannot bend around corners into the bedrooms to make connections. Therefore, I configured the orbi satellites with ethernet back-haul with a wired ethernet line to each satellite thinking they would act as accesspoints for both wireless and LAN connections.

But even with ethernet backhaul set-up and showing "wired" in the Orbi browser config screens, the wifi connectivity keeps dropping and having problems connecting and, more importantly, when I try to use the other LAN ports on the satellite, there is no connection at all.  I tried to do a speedtest with with my notebook connected by ethernet cable to the satellite and it cannot even connect to speedtest.  Does using the satellite with ethernet backhaul disable the other LAN ports on the satellites?  I read everything I could find about Orbi before buying it and never saw anything saying that using ethernet backhaul disables the LAN functionality of the satellites.

Also, can I get around this by config'ing the satellites as wired ACCESS POINTS instead of wireless satellites or without using the lined backhaul? If yes, where and how do I do this in the browser config screens?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can the Orbi Satellites be set up as wired ACCESS POINTS instead of WIFI MESH?

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7