Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can we Customize Device List on RBR50 Router?

ssgtweasel
Guide

Can we Customize Device List on RBR50 Router?

Can we Customize Device List on RB50 Router?

The default list of devices provided by NETGEAR/Orbi Router? Another post stated the exact same request I have for the most part

"the current list is quite dated (it feels like 2007!). Bascially none of the device types apply to my home. Thanks for the option of "Unix PC", but I need more than that, Orbi engineers!

I'd like to curate my own list that reflects the "moderm customer household" in 2018 (Examples include "Smart plug", "IOT", "Smart lock", "Thermostat", "voIP Hardphone"; "Alarm", "Fan", "Light", "Garage door", "Sensor", etc). These are a no-brainer.

Can I get access to the orbi device database and add my own device types?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Actually there’s more involved here. Since we already need to authenticate with netgear servers, it would be better if the account profile could store these customizations so they would survive a factory reset of the Orbi. This is the biggest downside of the reset as I have to redo all the tagging, and many devices look the same and need to managed by MAC. And furthermore the profile needs to be consumed by both the browser and the app in the same manner. So best to store this data serverside.
Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@ssgtweasel wrote:

When you find it, please let us know.  This is a frequent request.  There is obviously code somewhere inside Orbi where it figures out what type of device it is.  (Maybe using a combination of ethernet vendor codes (OUI) and maybe some common port probes.)  The value is definitely an integer.

Message 3 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ssgtweasel wrote:
Can we Customize Device List on RB50 Router?

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can change the name of each device via Orib "Attached Devices" page.  Just click on each device you want to change/rename, then provide your own name/description.

Message 4 of 6
ssgtweasel
Guide

I have changed both Device Model & Device Name however you can not add to the Device TYPE...that is hardcoded...Not a big deal however would like additional items updated like "VoIP"; "IOT"; etc

Message 5 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ssgtweasel wrote:

I have changed both Device Model & Device Name however you can not add to the Device TYPE...that is hardcoded...Not a big deal however would like additional items updated like "VoIP"; "IOT"; etc

Yeah, you are right.

It seems that adding new/additional devices to the Device TYPE list might also require changes to QoS engine to support them.  It's probably non-trivial task.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7