Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can we downgrade the Orbi 2.1.1.12 firmware?

jyun
Tutor

Can we downgrade the Orbi 2.1.1.12 firmware?

I have searched and cant find anyone who can confirm that they have downgraded from v2.1.1.12 back to v2.0.0.74. I am reading in these forums and other areas of the internet mixed reviews and results. I just want to make sure there is a fail safe to go back. I am solid on v2.0.0.74 and want ethernet backhaul.

Let me know if anyone has upgraded then downgraded without issues. BTW - its not in the manual or latest firmware notes on the downgrade process.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
fredsocial
Tutor

Yes it is possible. You just need to the device page and donwload "previous firmware".

Message 2 of 9
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Be sure you save your setting before you upgrade and then if you downgrade, restore the settings that you saved.

Message 3 of 9
Phatman113
Aspirant

Did you perform this?  how did it work out?  I'm on 2.1.2.18 and getting dropped packets like crazy.  Thinking about rolling back to 2.0.0.74, as that seems to be commented as the most stable version...  You having any issues after the upgrade, or did you roll back?

Message 4 of 9
jyun
Tutor

It works like a champ. You can downgrade and upgrade with ease by just browsing to the downloaded firmware file. I am on the latest 2.1.2.18 and have no issues. I admit, others are having some problems but could be from anything. Downgrade and see if that helps. There is also the new ASUS Mesh firmware out which is a really good alternative if these Orbi's don't work out for you. I have a few friends that moved to the ASUS Mesh and love it. Super fast and rock solid -

Good luck

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 9
Phatman113
Aspirant

Thanks, I may give it a shot.  I was leaning towards this, but also looking at the UniFi/AmpliFi products...  Thankfully still within my return window if these do end up being crap, just need to make sure I can get it working and make a decision before that runs out.

Message 6 of 9
BallHawk45
Tutor

Oh sure, you CAN downgrade the firmware to a prior version - but the Orbi will auto-update itself to the latest version within a few hours or days and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it.  There is no option to disable this, although many including myself have tried - just search this forum for "NVRAM settings" if you're up for telnetting into your router and satellites to make these changes - but they don't work.  Eventually you will wake up to the new firmware and you will be doing the daily/weekly "Orbi Firmware Backrev Dance" along with me and many others.

If you're inclined, you can upvote this suggestion in the Netgear "Idea Exchange" to allow users to opt out of firmware updates:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 7 of 9
PyroDog
Apprentice

wrote:

Oh sure, you CAN downgrade the firmware to a prior version - but the Orbi will auto-update itself to the latest version within a few hours or days and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it.  There is no option to disable this, although many including myself have tried - just search this forum for "NVRAM settings" if you're up for telnetting into your router and satellites to make these changes - but they don't work.  Eventually you will wake up to the new firmware and you will be doing the daily/weekly "Orbi Firmware Backrev Dance" along with me and many others.

If you're inclined, you can upvote this suggestion in the Netgear "Idea Exchange" to allow users to opt out of firmware updates:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

I second this. I'm lucky enohg tu be running the Orbi system in AP mode behind a router with firewall capability. I use the firewall to block updates. This has been the only solution for me to the forced updates.

Message 8 of 9
globespy
Apprentice

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7