Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you block a device on an Orbi (v2.7.3.22) when it is not connected to the network?

TK-USA
Aspirant

Can you block a device on an Orbi (v2.7.3.22) when it is not connected to the network?

I have an Orbi v2.7.3.22 and I am interested in blocking devices that have been on my network in the past. My youngest son has a gaming machine and if I block him while he is gaming he gets banned for a significant period of time, in some games, and others he gets a lifetime ban. 

At sixteen years old, sometimes the best way to get him to keep current on his homework is to shut down the gaming and eliminate access to a car. Both are effective in one way or another depending on he situation.

So when I need to remove gaming privileges I would like to do it when he is not connected vs. when he is connected. If anybody knows if that is possible, I sure would appreciate some direction on how to do it!

Thank you.

TK

Message 1 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can you block a device on an Orbi (v2.7.3.22) when it is not connected to the network?

Hello TK-USA,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would like to disable access to the internet for certain devices for a specified period of time. This can be done using our Smart Parental Controls feature. 

Please navigate to the link below for more information on the features of NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls:

Smart Parental Control | Internet Filter | Internet Safety | NETGEAR

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
TK-USA
Aspirant

Re: Can you block a device on an Orbi (v2.7.3.22) when it is not connected to the network?

I'm not asking if I can control how long, I'm asking if I can block access when his machine is not connected to the network. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The complicated parts of this are:

• What access is to be blocked?
    My guess is only "gaming".  i.e. but allow internet use for homework. (maybe email?)
  • When to be blocked?  To avoid the potential for a permanent ban, a block must start when the computer is not gaming.
  • How much personal involvement for you? (every day?)
  • Can you prevent him from changing the hardware MAC address of the computer?
    If you cannot, then no form of blocking can work because he'll just change the MAC address, which will cause the router to give him another IP address.  Or, he can just set a Static IP on the computer himself.

On the Orbi web browser interface, the Advanced Tab, Security Menu, Block Services, you might be able to:

• Define a block of the specific ports used for gaming. (and hope that they do not include ports used for general web use, email, and homework).
  • Define a block to begin when he is guaranteed to be out of the house and not in the middle of a game.
  • Define the block to end after homework should be finished and he is allowed to begin gaming.
    (These times can be different for different days of the week.)
  • The block will apply to the one IP address, which is the IP address that is assigned to the gaming computer hardware MAC address.

My observation is that these battles never end well.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7