Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you connect Orbi RBR20 Connection via ethrenet

oliver1994
Follower

Can you connect Orbi RBR20 Connection via ethrenet

I have two computers downstairs which were previously connected to the internet via ethrenet ports which linked to the upstairs modem. I live in Australia and NBN has come in, as a result I have had to move my modem to the other side of the room to fit into our new NBN port, however that left a cable running across the hallway to connect the modem to the ethrenet ports in the wall which it previously sat next to.

I purchased the Orbi RBR20 in a hope that I could connect the satellite to the aforementioned ethrenet ports in the wall to get rid of the wire running across the room, however after getting the Orbi router and satellite connected the downstairs computers aren't connecting to the internet. Am i doing anything wrong? Should this work? 

The first thought may be to move the satellite closer to downstairs so that the computers get WiFi however one of them does not have WiFi capabilities. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can you connect Orbi RBR20 Connection via ethrenet

There may be terminology issues which impact how people interpret these questions.  It is probably not effective to guess at meanings and produce responses that are incorrect.

"Modem" is one.  What is the brand and model number?  Is this device acting as a "router" or "only a modem"?

"Ethernet ports" is another.  We typically think of "ports" as sockets on the case of a device, such as a computer or router.  Ethernet "jacks" are wall plugs that terminate an ethernet cable that is run inside the wall.

The Orbi RBR20 has only two ethernet ports.  The yellow port must be connected to the internet modem with a cable.  If the intention was to use WiFi to eliminate the cable connecting to the modem, that will not work.  The RBR20 could be connected to the modem, and then WiFi can connect the router to an RBR20 satellite that is some distance away, for example in the same room as the two computers.  The computers could then be wired to the satellite.  The ethernet cables inside the wall would not be used.  Or, the satellite could be located where the two wall jacks are and connected.

Sorry if this isn't making sense.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7