Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you force a device to the router or one of the satellites?

sandman512
Apprentice

Can you force a device to the router or one of the satellites?

So, I own the RBR50 Mesh system with two satellite.  I had to move one of the satellites from the basement to my garage(ORBI 2) for better coverage.  I noticed that every device is either connected to the router or the ORBI .  I am assuming that when I took ORBI 2 from the basement and moved it to the garage everyting found another connection.  So, my question is is there a way to "force" a device to a connect to the router or the satellites?  Thanks you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can you force a device to the router or one of the satellites?

The short answer is, "no".  There is not a mechanism to force a device to connect to a specific Orbi (router or satellite).

What you CAN do is "encourage" a device to connect.  Devices which are designed to "move", such as phones, tablets, laptops, are programmed to constantly hunt for a better WiFi signal.  When I move from upstairs to downstairs with my phone or tablet, within about a minute it switches to the other Orbi.  Devices that are not expected to move around (computers, thermostats, security cameras, printers, tv's, etc.) typically are not programmed this way.  When they connect to a WiFi access point, they tend to "stick" as long as the WiFi is at all useable.

So, if you temporarily turn down the WiFi signal strength, then restart a device, it may wake up and say, "Hey, this WiFi access point is best for me", and connect.  Later, if you turn the WiFi signal strength back up, the device will ignore that and stay connected where it is.

The key, however, is performance.  If a device is "working fine" but we simply think it should be connected somewhere else, it's probably a waste of our time to mess with it.

Message 2 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@sandman512 wrote:

So, my question is is there a way to "force" a device to a connect to the router or the satellites?

If you're fearless, check out this: How to force individual device to connect to separate SSIDs/Router/Satellite.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Turn down the power output onf the RBR from 100% to say 50%. This will help with where devices connect too. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It's up to device to pick and choose on where to connect, not Orbi. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@sandman512 wrote:

So, I own the RBR50 Mesh system with two satellite.  I had to move one of the satellites from the basement to my garage(ORBI 2) for better coverage.  I noticed that every device is either connected to the router or the ORBI .  I am assuming that when I took ORBI 2 from the basement and moved it to the garage everyting found another connection.  So, my question is is there a way to "force" a device to a connect to the router or the satellites?  Thanks you!

Message 4 of 5
theoak
Luminary

Essentially it is up to the device to determine which access point it wants to connect to.  The access points do not determine that.  The access points essentially just say "I am here".  The device has the logic to determine if and when to switch to another available access point.  So even if the device is closer to a given access point, however, the signal to its existing connection has not dropped to a certain threshold, the device will maintain that connection to the farther access point.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7