Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you restore a config from an RBR50?

VerneArase
Apprentice

Can you restore a config from an RBR50?

Just curious if it's possible to restore an RBK50 config to the new models.

I put in a feature request a long time ago to allow config to carry over from model to model as basically you have to go through the same dance each time your upgrade your gear, setting MAC directed address assignments, identifying and naming devices, etc.

Seems especially important now with ancillary services assocaited with each router like Armor and Circle.

BTW, if I upgrade will I have to rebuy these ancillary services?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can you restore a config from an RBR50?

I would put money on "not a chance."  I read a post (somewhere) that the Orbi config file is simply a dump of NVRAM show only encrypted.  No possibility of the newer model having exactly the same parameters.

What I have done is create an Excel file containing all of my customized IP assignments, Device names, Device types.  When I do a factory reset, I open a telnet session, "copy and paste" this file into telnet, and click "Apply" on the LAN setup page.

Circle and Armor are good questions.  Probably the folks who follow those two community forums have a better idea than most of us on this forum.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can. If you make one RBR your master configuration and set it up as you want. Run a back up configuration to file. You can use this backup file to load up other RBR50 series routers. I would not enable Armor or Circle on the master configuration. Do this after you load up a different RBR. The configuration file is not HW or HW serial number specific. 

@VerneArase wrote:

Just curious if it's possible to restore an RBK50 config to the new models.

I put in a feature request a long time ago to allow config to carry over from model to model as basically you have to go through the same dance each time your upgrade your gear, setting MAC directed address assignments, identifying and naming devices, etc.

Seems especially important now with ancillary services assocaited with each router like Armor and Circle.

BTW, if I upgrade will I have to rebuy these ancillary services?

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I interpreted the question to mean "can I take a configuration file from one model of Orbi and use it to configure a different model, such as an RBR20 or one of the AX models?" I also rely one the config file from one RBR50 working on other RBR50s, but doubt that it can be used on other models. Certainly would be useful.
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, a 50 series backup file can't be used on 20 or 40 series systems and vs versa. Backup files are used with in there own specific model fields. 

Message 5 of 9
VerneArase
Apprentice

A while back I put in a feature request to NetGear that the config files be changed to XML output, which could be parsed and applied as appropriate when importing a config.

This would allow you to import the pertinent portions of the config from any old router into a new one, where - let's face it - outside of a few tweaks the configuration capabilities are probably pretty much identical.

I have a ton of devices, and this would make upgrading them from one model to another so much less time-consuming - which would also mean I'd be much more likely to upgrade to a new NetGear router.

Message 6 of 9
VerneArase
Apprentice

Huh ... how do you get a telnet session? I do a:

20.01.21 07:07:54 Host: Verne-iMac5K, ID: varase, Num: 6, Hist: 322, RC: 0 [~] % nmap 192.168.1.1

Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-01-21 07:10 CST

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1

Host is up (0.0078s latency).

Not shown: 990 closed ports

PORT      STATE    SERVICE

21/tcp    filtered ftp

80/tcp    open     http

443/tcp   open     https

631/tcp   open     ipp

3333/tcp  open     dec-notes

4444/tcp  open     krb524

4567/tcp  open     tram

5555/tcp  open     freeciv

20005/tcp open     btx

49152/tcp open     unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.33 seconds

and I don't see port 23 open.

Is there an option to open a command line interface?

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, as mentioned. You can restore from a RBR50 to another RBR50. You just can't restore from a RBR50 to a RBR20. I presume NG keeps it this way as there are some features not seen between the Orbi models thus making some level in incompatibility. Overall, it just keeps everything for NG in development easier. Orbi is already a complex system. I wouldn't want to make it any more complex than it is. 

@VerneArase wrote:

A while back I put in a feature request to NetGear that the config files be changed to XML output, which could be parsed and applied as appropriate when importing a config.

This would allow you to import the pertinent portions of the config from any old router into a new one, where - let's face it - outside of a few tweaks the configuration capabilities are probably pretty much identical.

I have a ton of devices, and this would make upgrading them from one model to another so much less time-consuming - which would also mean I'd be much more likely to upgrade to a new NetGear router.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@VerneArase wrote:

Huh ... how do you get a telnet session? I do a:

Is there an option to open a command line interface?

Port 23 (telnet) is not open by default.  (Do not want people hacking the system.)  Open the Orbi "debug" page, http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm and log in using the admin credentials, "admin" and password.  Check the box, "Enable Telnet".

(Note: the telnet port remains open for quite some time, but eventually Orbi will close it again.  You will go to the web page and even though the box is checked, it will not respond.  Uncheck the box.  Wait for web page to reload.  Check box again, and telnet is open again.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7