Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you use the router as a satellite

Anonom
Guide

Can you use the router as a satellite

I have an RBK12 (not even an option in the model box above).  It has one satellite.  I want another satellite. It seems they aren't sold that way.  If I buy another 2 pack can I use the router as a satellite?  Pretty sad that if you don't buy the right # of satellite the first time you are stuck buying a whole new system or router you don't need. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can you use the router as a satellite

No. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

If this is brand new and you can return it, Amazon also offers:

RBK13 - one router, two satellites - $202.

RBK14 - one router three satellites - $269.

This line of "mini Orbi's" is cute and practically invisible.  What they lack is any ethernet capability besides the one jack on the router.  Connect a switch to that port, and things can be wired to the router.  But, no ethernet backhaul.  No ethernet connections to satellites.

I have absolutely no idea how these perform relative to the bigger, more muscular products.  As far as software capabilities, beats me.  One would think that they would be the same.  Certainly nobody has posted comments about things being missing.  (To be honest, there have been very few posts about this product on the forum.  My guess is that people unbox, plug in, and then pay no attention to them.)

Message 3 of 4
Anonom
Guide

I've had it too long to return.  

Maybe not a lot of comments in that it is newer.  The lineup is also confusing-Orbis of all shapes and sizes.   

The no ethernet backend was definitely a downside since I do have ethernet many places in my home.  So far though (maybe I've had them 3 months), it has been working really well.  Way better than what I had (router + bridged router connected via ethernet).  I have wifi needs outside though and think I may need another satellite for that (not to put outside, but close).  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7