Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Remote Into PC from a MAC using CoRD (Remote Desktop Software)

skancharla
Tutor

Cannot Remote Into PC from a MAC using CoRD (Remote Desktop Software)

Hi I just swapped out an Apple Airport Extreme router with the RBK53S mesh system.  With the Orbi system, I'm no longer able to remote into a PC I've on my LAN using the CoRD remote desktop application on the MAC.  I've also tried Royal TSX to remote in and no luck with that either.  Am I missing some kind of a configuration that doesn't allow me to remote in to other computers on the LAN?  Otherwise the system so far seems to be working pretty well for my situation.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
skancharla
Tutor

Finally got it to work.  I guess a windows defender firewall settings has changed automatically when I setup the router?

Here is what I did... 

Windows Icon -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security (on the left) -> Firewall and Network Protection -> Allow an app through the firewall (link) -> Make sure 'Remote Desktop' is checked as well as 'Public' and 'Private' check boxes next to it.  You've to click 'Change Settings' at the top to make changes.

I guess the windows defender firewall was blocking the RDP connections becuase my 'Public' checkbox next to 'Remote Desktop' was not checked.  Changed the setting and it worked.

-Sri.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

When Orbi is acting as the only router (not behind another router), access to local computers from "outside" requires opening the appropriate internet ports.  This is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Port Forwarding.  Each remote management package requires different combinations of TCP and/or UDP ports. The instructions for CoRD and Royal TSX should have that information.

If the Orbi is set up as a router behind another router, then port forwarding is impossible.  One of them has to be made "not a router."

Of course, "remoting" to another computer on the same LAN does not require opening ports, unless the Orbi is not connected directly to the internet modem.  For example, if there is a "modem/router" and Orbi is connected to one port and other computers are connected to other ports on this router (1) this is that "two routers" problem, and (2) computers connected directly to the primary router are "outside" the Orbi, and cannot see "inside" unless ports are opened.

Sorry to rave on.  Perhaps I have over complicated the situation.

Message 2 of 5
skancharla
Tutor

My setup is pretty simple...

Modem -> Orbi Router 

The Mac is hard wired into the Orbi Router, the PC is hard wired to an unmanged switch that's also connected to the Orbi Router (See attachment).

I'm only trying to remote into the PC from the iMac inside the local network (LAN).

It used to work just fine with my old router.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Very clear picture.  Thanks.  Since this HAS to work, I am at a loss to explain how is doesn't.  The PC has the same IP address on the Orbi that it had on the previous router, correct?

Message 4 of 5
skancharla
Tutor

Finally got it to work.  I guess a windows defender firewall settings has changed automatically when I setup the router?

Here is what I did... 

Windows Icon -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security (on the left) -> Firewall and Network Protection -> Allow an app through the firewall (link) -> Make sure 'Remote Desktop' is checked as well as 'Public' and 'Private' check boxes next to it.  You've to click 'Change Settings' at the top to make changes.

I guess the windows defender firewall was blocking the RDP connections becuase my 'Public' checkbox next to 'Remote Desktop' was not checked.  Changed the setting and it worked.

-Sri.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7