Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Set Up RBS50Y in Extender Mode

Cannot Set Up RBS50Y in Extender Mode

I have been using the RBS50Y for the past year without a problem until I upgraded my router and satellites to the RBK852 AX 6000 system.  I know the RBS50Y will not work with the AX system in Orbi mode, so I tried to switch it to extender mode but have hit a brick wall.  I plugged my RBR50 router back in using a Powerline connector and it found the RBS50Y right away.  (I also have the AX6000 system running in AP mode but I assume it won't interfere since it won't recognize the RBS50Y if it is not in extender mode.)  The RBS50Y was running on firmware 2.3.5.32 and I tried to manually change the firmware to the extender mode version (1.0.0.46) but I kept getting the error measge that the firmware was incorrect.  I also tried extender firmware version 1.0.0.36 but received the same error message.  I reset the RBS50Y using the 30-30-30 method but that didn't help.  I also tried to set the RBS50Y into extender mode without upgrading the firmware but that didn't work either.  I have run out of ideas.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

The rbs50y actually runs 2 firmwares. You switch firmwares by switching modes. 

Here's the instructions for switching it to extender mode. Once its switched to extender mode, if you log into it, it'll display the extender firmware

https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mode

Message 2 of 22

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to put it in extender mode before uploading the firmware, using the instructions you linked to.  I followed the instructions to the letter but when I reached step 5, the LED did not pulse blue and white.  It just pulsed white.  I released the sync button and after a few minutes the LED turned blue, but it still connected as a satellite.  I did  a hard reset on the RBS50Y and tried again but the result was the same.  This does help narrow the issue though, since it appears that the problem is getting the RBS50Y into extender mode rather than uploading the firmware.  Any thoughts? 

This would not be a problem if Netgear would allow the the RBR850 to work with the RBS50Y, but alas that does not seem to be in the cards.  Maybe they will release an AX version of the outdoor satellite.  Until then, if I cannot figure out how to get the RBS50Y into extender mode, I will have to run the RBR50 alongside the the RBR850 if I want to use the RBS50Y.

Message 3 of 22
plemans
Guru

Usually pulsing white is starting up in orbi mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060130/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Orbi-Mode

https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mode

if you go to 192.168.*.*/hidden.htm   it should show a fw1 and fw2

*****being the address of the orbi device. 

( And i"m not 100% its hidden.htm.  I"m not at home right now to check on  mine. Sorry.) 

one should be the extender firmware and the other the orbi firmware. 

What are you showing? 

I'd also shut off the orbi router while trying the setup. 

And make sure the RBS50Y is on the latest orbi firmware.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and have them help you with this:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@Blanca_O 

@Robertgold123 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to put it in extender mode before uploading the firmware, using the instructions you linked to.  I followed the instructions to the letter but when I reached step 5, the LED did not pulse blue and white.  It just pulsed white.  I released the sync button and after a few minutes the LED turned blue, but it still connected as a satellite.  I did  a hard reset on the RBS50Y and tried again but the result was the same.  This does help narrow the issue though, since it appears that the problem is getting the RBS50Y into extender mode rather than uploading the firmware.  Any thoughts? 

This would not be a problem if Netgear would allow the the RBR850 to work with the RBS50Y, but alas that does not seem to be in the cards.  Maybe they will release an AX version of the outdoor satellite.  Until then, if I cannot figure out how to get the RBS50Y into extender mode, I will have to run the RBR50 alongside the the RBR850 if I want to use the RBS50Y.

Message 5 of 22
plemans
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Usually pulsing white is starting up in orbi mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060130/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Orbi-Mode

if you go to 192.168.*.*/hidden.htm   it should show a fw1 and fw2

*****being the address of the orbi device. 

( And i"m not 100% its hidden.htm.  I"m not at home right now to check on  mine. Sorry.) 

one should be the extender firmware and the other the orbi firmware. 

What are you showing? 

I'd also shut off the orbi router while trying the setup. 

And make sure the RBS50Y is on the latest orbi firmware.

I was wrong its:   ipaddress/hidden_info.htm

but mine only shows the newest and 1 older firmware. I must have misremembered them having that displayed there. Its been a while since I messed with mine. 

Message 6 of 22
zinca
Guide

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the exact same experience. Never went to blue/white flash no matter what I did. Tried other firmware, pro model firmware, etc. to no avail.

Message 7 of 22
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Never figured it out.

Never got any response from Community Moderators either.

I am hoping sometime in the future to get selected for another Orbi based beta test, and hopefully I can get something from one of the testers or engineers.

Message 8 of 22
zinca
Guide

Thank you for letting me know. I thought I might have broken through when I realized after an hour or so of fiddling that the sync button had been disabled in the app, but it made no apparent difference. The sync button switch on my unit is actually physically broken, but it is a simple switch and I was able to put a substitute. I put the project aside for now; only have so many hours to burn.

Message 9 of 22
TheRandy
Aspirant

@zinca wrote:

Thank you for letting me know. I thought I might have broken through when I realized after an hour or so of fiddling that the sync button had been disabled in the app, but it made no apparent difference. The sync button switch on my unit is actually physically broken, but it is a simple switch and I was able to put a substitute. I put the project aside for now; only have so many hours to burn.

I'm having the same issue, only my SYNC button does work.  I've even held the sync button for up to two and a half minutes after applying power (per the instructions page) and the satelite started blinking magenta; to no avail.  I can not for the life of me get this dang thing into extended mode to work with my new RBK853.

@netgear Please advise!

Message 10 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@TheRandy wrote:

I'm having the same issue, only my SYNC button does work.  I've even held the sync button for up to two and a half minutes after applying power (per the instructions page) and the satelite started blinking magenta; to no avail.  I can not for the life of me get this dang thing into extended mode to work with my new RBK853.

@netgear Please advise!

Did you press the sync button on the router as well?

To sync your Orbi router and satellite:
  1. Make sure that the router and satellite are receiving power.
  2. Press the Sync button on the router.
  3. Within two minutes, press the Sync button on the satellite.

https://youtu.be/ePZSc7vnRlQ

I find it easier to just use the app, because as stupid as it sounds, I always forget to press both sync buttons.

Message 11 of 22
TheRandy
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@TheRandy wrote:

@netgear Please advise!

Did you press the sync button on the router as well?

To sync your Orbi router and satellite:
  1. Make sure that the router and satellite are receiving power.
  2. Press the Sync button on the router.
  3. Within two minutes, press the Sync button on the satellite.

I find it easier to just use the app, because as stupid as it sounds, I always forget to press both sync buttons.

Thanks for the reply.  However, my problem is the sames as the OP.  I'm not trying to sync this outdoor satelite to my old original  RBK50.  I'm tryng to put it into Extended mode so that I can connect it to my new RBK853 Orbi network.  I followed the process outlined in the Netgear Article ID: 000060131| Last Updated:09/16/2019 at the following link: How do I set up my Orbi Outdoor Satellite in Extender Mode? This is where I'm currently at with my previous post.  Any help in getting the RBS50Y into Extended mode would be appreciated.  Thanks again, @Mstrbig 

Message 12 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@TheRandy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  However, my problem is the sames as the OP.  I'm not trying to sync this outdoor satelite to my old original  RBK50.  I'm tryng to put it into Extended mode so that I can connect it to my new RBK853 Orbi network.  I followed the process outlined in the Netgear Article ID: 000060131| Last Updated:09/16/2019 at the following link: How do I set up my Orbi Outdoor Satellite in Extender Mode? This is where I'm currently at with my previous post.  Any help in getting the RBS50Y into Extended mode would be appreciated.  Thanks again, @Mstrbig

If you have not done so already, factory reset the Orbi satellite. Then hold in the reset button and power on the satellite, still holding the reset button. Wait for red, then green power light and let go of the reset. If it stays on red, let go of the reset button. Once power light is green and yo see white light on top, you should be able to change to Extender mode. 

Message 13 of 22
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

For those that are having problems with setting your RBS50Y into regular extender mode (not Orbi Satellite mode), it may boil down to having an early release RBS50Y  (different than the RBS50YV2).  I have an early release RBS50Y (received via beta test) that would not and will not go into extender mode - no matter how many factory resets, length of time holding down the SYNC button, different versions of the firmware, etc.

I raised the issue during one of the weekly Netgear Technical Support chats held via YouTube and Netgear themselves opened a Customer Support ticket.

After weeks of back and forth between Netgear Technical Support, complete with multiple (more than two dozen) E-Mail exchanges, debug logs, several technicians, etc., Netgear determined that I had an RBS50Y (V1) that was released before they activated the regular extender mode (this was done through a set of firmware updates), and those update files are no longer available.  I have even checked the Netgear Open Source file repository to try and find the updates to no avail.

Unless your RBS50Y is still covered under the hardware warranty period where you may be able to obtain an RMA replacement, you are most likely stuck with an Orbi Mode Only RBS50Y.

Message 14 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Very strange. We have installed many RBS50 version 1 satellites in extender mode.

This is the latest Netgear link to the latest RBS50Y

Latest Orbi Mode Firmware:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y-V2.5.2.104.zip

Latest Extender Mode Firmware:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y-EXT-V1.0.0.46.zip

Message 15 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

This may be the relevant information:

Netgear determined that I had an RBS50Y (V1) that was released before they activated the regular extender mode (this was done through a set of firmware updates), and those update files are no longer available.

Yuck

Message 16 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

(Snark) Kind of typical of Netgear to omit the relevant information, such as "Devices manufactured prior to xx/xx/xx cannot be put into Extender Mode" or "Devices with serial numbers lower than xxxxx cannot be put into Extender Mode."

In other words: How do I know if MY RBS50Y can be put into Extender Mode?  Good Luck.

Message 17 of 22
TheRandy
Aspirant

That's exactly what I'm thinking right now!

I'm going to call them and see if they will replace it with the "V2" version.  Doubtful, but worth a shot.

Message 18 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

(Snark) Kind of typical of Netgear to omit the relevant information, such as "Devices manufactured prior to xx/xx/xx cannot be put into Extender Mode" or "Devices with serial numbers lower than xxxxx cannot be put into Extender Mode."

In other words: How do I know if MY RBS50Y can be put into Extender Mode?  Good Luck.

Message 19 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mod

I guess this is what @TC_in_Montana was saying.  The way to know if a specific RBS50Y is able to go into extender mode is to follow the directions, over and over, and finally give up because they never work.

Message 20 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mod

I guess this is what @TC_in_Montana was saying.  The way to know if a specific RBS50Y is able to go into extender mode is to follow the directions, over and over, and finally give up because they never work.

Agreed, but he also said he could not find the Extender firmware. In order to be able to put the RBS50Y into Extender mode, the firmware has to be present.

Message 21 of 22
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Mstrbig wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

Agreed, but he also said he could not find the Extender firmware. In order to be able to put the RBS50Y into Extender mode, the firmware has to be present.

Actually, what I said was I looked for the special updates that were needed to convert the V1 to V2 that were used during the beta test.  

I know where the firmware updates are for the RBS50Y.  Believe me, I have loaded EVERY SINGLE firmware update for the RBS50Y since receiving it.   Even some that no longer exist on the "Prior Versions" page.

Unfortunately, you can not load the Extender Mode firmware unless you are in Extender Mode.  If you are in Orbi Satellite Mode, it will not allow you to load it.    And loading the Orbi Satellite firmware, does not enable the Extender Mode.   That is the quandry.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7