Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access RBK50 Router from either wireless or ethernet after shifting to access point mode

capnkame
Aspirant

Cannot access RBK50 Router from either wireless or ethernet after shifting to access point mode

I just received the RBK50 kit with a RBR50 router and satellite.  Having significant problems in getting the CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T modem/router to recognize the RBR50.  So I've simplified and kept the satellite off.  Upon initial boot up of the RBR50, I've been able to access the RBR50 both wirelessly and with an ethernet cable connected to my Windows 10 laptop.  But after shifting the RBR50 to Access Point mode I can no longer access the RBR50: neither with the new name wireless SSID nor with the direct ethernet cord. 

Note: this simplification was conducted to just the laptop and the RBR50, because the C2000T would not recognize the RBR50's presence let alone assign an IP address.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot access RBK50 Router from either wireless or ethernet after shifting to access point mode

If the Orbi is not connected to the modem/router, where will it get an IP address?  My guess is that it is stuck asking "who am I?  who am I?) and is not progressing to the point that anyone can connect to it in any fashion.

Has the modem been turned off and back on?  Sometimes these unit "remember" the MAC address that was connected and stubbornly wait for it to appear.

Message 2 of 9
capnkame
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access RBK50 Router from either wireless or ethernet after shifting to access point mode

CrimpOn, thank you for your reply, but I started out with the RBR50 plugged into the Technicolor C2000T modem and followed the netgear instructions to get started.  The two systems refused to connect after several attempts (reboots, different cables, different connections, etc).  Logging into the C2000T, the RBR50 only shows as a connection on an ethernet port but without an assigned IP address (it doesn't show up as a connected device either). 

I looked in the community blogs and decided to try it in access point mode.  Similar problem with no handshake from the C2000T.  This second problem about not accessing the RBR50 came up when I shifted it to access point.  I did try resetting and rebooting several times.  So I tried it as stand-alone (several times including resets and power on/off) to simplify.  Same no access problem.  Hence the blog post.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

and the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi is connecting to the modem?  Is there a choice of ports on the modem?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If using access point mode, look for the IP address seen on the main host routers connected clients list for the RBR50. Use this IP address to access the RBRs web page.

@capnkame wrote:

I just received the RBK50 kit with a RBR50 router and satellite.  Having significant problems in getting the CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T modem/router to recognize the RBR50.  So I've simplified and kept the satellite off.  Upon initial boot up of the RBR50, I've been able to access the RBR50 both wirelessly and with an ethernet cable connected to my Windows 10 laptop.  But after shifting the RBR50 to Access Point mode I can no longer access the RBR50: neither with the new name wireless SSID nor with the direct ethernet cord. 

Note: this simplification was conducted to just the laptop and the RBR50, because the C2000T would not recognize the RBR50's presence let alone assign an IP address.

Message 5 of 9
capnkame
Aspirant

I read a similar article with those options listed.  So I tried the third: access point mode. After shifting to Access Point and having trouble reaccessing the RBR50 (orbilogin.net or any of the IP addresses) is why I started my question in this forum.

The problem was that I could not get the modem/router (C2000T) to ever recognize or provide an IP address: the modem shows under "Ethernet Status" that some unknown device with a MAC address is connected to the ethernet port (does not provide an IP address in the table), but in the "Device Table" listing devices and IP addresses, it does not show any active (or inactive) device with that MAC address).  

With the RBR50 either connected to the modem or not connected to the modem (I tried it both ways), I have been able to log-in to the RBR 50 both wirelessly and by ethernet cable from my laptop (while simultaneously logging into my modem from my desktop).  But once I shift the modem to Access Point, my laptop can still "see" the RBR50 through the ethernet cable ("Unidentified Network, No Internet) and can log-in to the SSID (No Internet, Secured).  However, I cannot log into the RBR50 (orbilogin.net or any other IP address) itself.  The only IP addresses for the network setting (Windows 10) are the IPv4 addresses for each of the RBR50 channels (169.254.xxx.xxx/16).   I tried using those (with and without the "/16") in two different browsers but to no avail.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the modem isn't giving an IP address to the RBR. 

Swap out lan cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Can you try the RBR in router mode and give option #2 a try? 

Message 7 of 9
capnkame
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestions.  I just spent a couple of hours on chat with Netgear tech support.  After trying a few things (including swapping cables, ports, and devices), he instructed me to return the equipment.  So I packed it up and sent it back today.  I'll try again when I get a new one.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Hope the new unit works better for you. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7