Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot change my Orbi admin password!

subarctic
Guide

Cannot change my Orbi admin password!

Netgear Community,

I'm having difficulty changing my admin password for my Orbi router.

My troubles begain this afternoon when I was updating the router's firmware.  I got an email from Orbi saying the firmware from my router needed to be udpated.  Usually I do this from my smartphone app--but, for some reason, that failed so I had to login to my router through my computer's browser.

In the login screen, I got a pop-up asking me to change my password.  Not sure why--the password is a strong one; I created it when I first bought the router.  But, for whatever reason, I couldn't chage it--only cancel out.  When I got past that screen I got access to my router and upated the firmware with no problem.  

After updating the firmware, I decided that I was still going to change the admin password, just to be safe.  To make a long story short, I couldn't do it on any of my three browsers. Every time I fill in all the fields and try to click "apply" nothing happens.  I can "cancel," however, and my password remains the same.

Any ideas?  This has wasted a lot of my time today.  

I saw that someone else had similar problems a few months ago, but their issue seemed to be created by their use of Lastpass, which I don't use. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
subarctic
Guide

Re: Cannot change my Orbi admin password!

Wanted to close the loop on this.  Turns out that, when changing the password, you cannot cut and paste the new password into the new password field.  When I typed it in, everything worked fine.

This seems odd, since I cut and paste the password in from my password manager everytime that I log in.  Apparently it's only a restriction when you're setting a new password. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I get pop up windows sometimes when I log into the Orbi, but they are from my bowser asking if I want to change the existing stored password to what I just entered.  i.e. not from the Orbi.  (This happens often because I administer two Orbi's with different passwords - one over VPN.  Both are on 192.168.1.1 (not a bright move on my part), so my browser notices when I enter a password that is different from the last password I entered for the same IP address.)

Maybe it would be useful to collect some screen shots of the password update.  i.e. before, during, and after.  Just to check the "obvious", the box saying "Allow password reset" is checked, correct?  And, that infamous "Caps Lock" key is not on?  (With my funble fingers, it is seriously annoying when web site put "dots" in password fields so that I cannot verify the keys that I pressed, which may be different than the keys I intended to press.)

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@subarctic wrote:

Netgear Community,

My troubles begain this afternoon when I was updating the router's firmware.  I got an email from Orbi saying the firmware from my router needed to be udpated.  Usually I do this from my smartphone app--but, for some reason, that failed so I had to login to my router through my computer's browser.

In the login screen, I got a pop-up asking me to change my password.  Not sure why--the password is a strong one; I created it when I first bought the router.  But, for whatever reason, I couldn't chage it--only cancel out.  When I got past that screen I got access to my router and upated the firmware with no problem.  

After updating the firmware, I decided that I was still going to change the admin password, just to be safe.  To make a long story short, I couldn't do it on any of my three browsers. Every time I fill in all the fields and try to click "apply" nothing happens.  I can "cancel," however, and my password remains the same.

I saw that someone else had similar problems a few months ago, but their issue seemed to be created by their use of Lastpass, which I don't use. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@subarctic wrote:

Netgear Community,

Message 4 of 7
subarctic
Guide

Thanks for the suggestions so far--unfortunately I haven't been able to solve the problem yet.  I hope it doesn't require a factory reset--that would be a hassle. 

I don't think the pop-up was related to my browswer; at least I don't think it is.  And I have tried the procedure both with and without "allow password reset" checked--but as I undersatnd it, that should't matter because it is just a feature that allows you to reset the password if you forget the one you first inputed.  Caps lock is a non-issure, as I'm cutting and pasting in the password. 

To clarify, I can get into the router with my current password, the strong one I picked when I first set up the router.  I'm just trying to change it beacause of that pop up--and whether or not that pop-up was browser driven or not, I figured it was just time for a change anyhow.

I've had a busy week, but I may try again tomorrow; maybe I'll try from a differnt computer.  

Message 5 of 7
subarctic
Guide

Wanted to close the loop on this.  Turns out that, when changing the password, you cannot cut and paste the new password into the new password field.  When I typed it in, everything worked fine.

This seems odd, since I cut and paste the password in from my password manager everytime that I log in.  Apparently it's only a restriction when you're setting a new password. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for reporting the resolution.  Now that we are being hounded to use password managers, copy and paste will become a constant activity.  I had a similar issue copying passwords when the copy function would silently expand to include a trailing space (where there was not supposed to be one).  Yet another reason to want the option to "display" what is being entered, rather than simply show dots.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7