Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect satellite to Orbi RBR50

SMartin9
Aspirant

Cannot connect satellite to Orbi RBR50

Try as a I might, I cannot get the satellite to connect - except at a very short 20 ft line of sight.
I updated both main and satellite to latest software, manually.
I place the satellite in the next room, white solid, press both sync buttons (or use the "button" on the web page Orbilogin.com, Basic, Add Satellite. Tne next room has one wal between it and the main Orbi, albeit a thick wall - that's why I need the satellite!  If I put it in the hallway, around the corner, same result - not synced. Only if it's within 20 ft line of sight will it turn blue.
The result is always the same - after white solid, it briefly shows blue, then stays on magenta. Not synced.
Please help, I'd like to make this work.
Stew

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
SMartin9
Aspirant

This morning I woke up, logged into Orbilogin.com, looked at Basic, Attached Devices - and the satellite shows up. It has "backhaul = Good", connection type 5G, etc.  When I do a filecopy to my NAS, I get speeds in that room of 1 to 20MB/sec.
Is there a way to truly know if it's working? Like to test the speed using the satellite (as opposed to the main Orbi)?

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

the orbi's usually need a minimum of 30ft distance between them. The question comes down to your house materials.  whats the construction? Wood/sheetrock etc? I know brick, concrete, foil lined insulation, hvac, other metals do a great job of blocking wifi signals. If this is what you have, wifi backhaul is going to be tough for you to do. 

You state you updated to latest software manually. which software version? a number helps more than the latest. these posts get older and it helps people who might have the same problem .

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@SMartin9 wrote:

This morning I woke up, logged into Orbilogin.com, looked at Basic, Attached Devices - and the satellite shows up. It has "backhaul = Good", connection type 5G, etc.  When I do a filecopy to my NAS, I get speeds in that room of 1 to 20MB/sec.
Is there a way to truly know if it's working? Like to test the speed using the satellite (as opposed to the main Orbi)?

You can hardwire into the satellite and use the speedtest app to see how fast the internet speeds are. If you're paying for fast enough speeds, this will give you an indication of how well the backhaul is working.  Not sure what you pay for though. 

Message 4 of 10
SMartin9
Aspirant

Thanks for both of your replies.
Firmware is V2.3.5.30 on both main and satellite.

I tried the wired (ethernet) connection to the satellite, in 2 rooms:
 - library (where I most want it) - magenta LED, and wired connection shows "no network", no browser response.
 - living room - blue LED, wired connection same "no network".

Wall construction:
 - library is 1 wall from the main Orbi, 3 layers of sheetrock, rock wool, and cherry built-in cabinets.

- living room wall is 2 layers sheetrock and a rock fireplace in line-of-sight to the main.

This is puzzling to me. Why blue LED but no wired internet. And why one wall (seeminly more impenetrable) is better than the other.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

with mine, once it lights up blue, my internet works after the led goes out. It lights up to signify that its successfully connected and then it should go out.

is it doing so?

Are the led's pulsing/solid/etc.  

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

It is fortunate that the satellite can be moved easily.  It might be useful to see how the Orbi describes the backhaul link between satellite and router.  On the router debug page (http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm) check the box Enable Telnet.  Use a telnet client (there's one in Windows that can be turned on under the control panel "Programs".  I personally use Putty because I have it set up to record each session.)

• Put the satellite in the same room as the router.
    After it connects, telnet into the router and type "satelliteinfo wifi" (no quotes)
    Here is what I get:
    root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
    {
    "mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-68",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
    }
    The TX and TX rates should be higher in the same room.
  • Move the Satellite to another location, connect it, and do the same test.
    If it came up "Good" in one location, I'd try that one first.
  • Move the satellite to the other room and try again.
    The farther away the satellite gets, the lower the backhaul rate will be.

In my (limited) experience, having a brick fireplace directly between router and satellite will cut the signal dramatically.  My Orbi goes through three regular sheet rock walls with no problem.  Brick (and maybe a metal fireplace liner), now that's different.

Message 7 of 10
SMartin9
Aspirant

Yes, the lights are acting correctly.
In the deisred location, solid magenta; then goes out.
In the other location, solid blue, then goes out.

I'm trying to figure out why the desired location isn't working - it's about 30 ft away, plaster and built-in cabinets between the two, it ought to penetrate nicely and provide the wifi signal in the next room. The ethernet wire at the satellite seems dead (no network). 
I'm a bit reluctant to try the telnet - over my head.
Hoping someone will have a simpler magic bullet that will let it work as intended ....

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on both RBR and RBS after updating the FW? 

Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR. 

If you wire connect the RBS, You first need to wirelessly connect it to the RBR, can do this in the same room. After its connected wirelessly, connect the ethernet cable between the RBR and RBS, the RBS top led will start pulsating WHITE. Then should turn BLUE then go out. IF you get to this point, power OFF the RBS then place at remote location with LAN cable there, connect it and turn the RBS ON. It should turn BLUE then go out. 

Almost sounds like the RBS is not working correctly....

@SMartin9 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why the desired location isn't working - it's about 30 ft away, plaster and built-in cabinets between the two, it ought to penetrate nicely and provide the wifi signal in the next room. The ethernet wire at the satellite seems dead (no network). 
I'm a bit reluctant to try the telnet - over my head.
Hoping someone will have a simpler magic bullet that will let it work as intended ....

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@SMartin9 wrote:

1. We know the satellite works in one location.
  2. We know it cannot connect in another location.
  3. Something is blocking the signal.  Could be foil backed insulation in the walls.  How about, get a long extension cord and move the satellite to different places in the desired location?
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7