Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect some devices to WiFi

michielvdd
Aspirant

Cannot connect some devices to WiFi

Most of my devices (MacBook, iPhone, TV...) connect to my Orbi mesh WiFi without any problem. Other, 'less advanced' devices, like a smart camera, a Google Stadia controller, a connected power plug, a kitchen steamer... just don't connect (or they connect very occasionaly, about 5% of the time). The WiFi network is found by the devices, but I get a "cannot connect" error on every one of these devices.

Right now my Orbi is setup as an access point to my router. At this point, I had to set up a different AP with a different SSID for these 'less advanced' devices, which is not my preferred solution.

Anyone with any ideas or similar problems?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@michielvdd wrote:

Most of my devices (MacBook, iPhone, TV...) connect to my Orbi mesh WiFi without any problem. Other, 'less advanced' devices, like a smart camera, a Google Stadia controller, a connected power plug, a kitchen steamer... just don't connect (or they connect very occasionaly, about 5% of the time). The WiFi network is found by the devices, but I get a "cannot connect" error on every one of these devices.

Right now my Orbi is setup as an access point to my router. At this point, I had to set up a different AP with a different SSID for these 'less advanced' devices, which is not my preferred solution.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@michielvdd wrote:

There is a potential solution for "cannot connect" if the devices recognize only 2.4G networks.  Connect about 5% of the time is an entirely different problem.

Message 2 of 8
michielvdd
Aspirant

What would the solution be for 2.4GHz devices?

Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

If you're talking about devices which will only connect via 2.4, one possible solution is a Tenda extender.   Google it

With a true Mesh system the router combines both the 2.4 and 5g into one SSID and it decides which  frequency to assign the device.  

The Tenda extender will create a separate visible SSID at 2.4.

Good luck

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@michielvdd wrote:

Message 5 of 8
michielvdd
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply!

I think I have found the problem. I changed the 2.4GHz channel to 11 and the 5GHz channel to 48 and this seems to have solved the problem. When I change the channels back to their original value, I can replicate the issue, so I'm pretty sure the channel was causing the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
vajim
Master

I hope your neighbors don't do the same