Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect to internet

ScrantonMark
Aspirant

Cannot connect to internet

I attempted to install the Orbi system (with one satellite) yesterday and I have been unable to connect to the internet.  The installation went smoothly.  I even made it to the point where I could rename it and add my own password.  

The two Orbi units seem to be working you can select them as your wifi option in addition I ran the speed check and that worked.   I checked the cable modem and it recognizes the Orbi as connected.  I know the internet is working I have a second router connected to that same modem and it works fine. 

The error message reads something to the effect of "Unable to find secure connection to the internet"  

I have rebooted the cable modem several times and I have shut both Orbi units off.

Short of doing a hard reset and starting over I am not sure what other steps to try

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

It sounds like as you already have a router then you need to configure your Orbi as an Access Point(AP) only?  If you can login to your Orbi via a web browser, you will see an option to enable AP mode.  Try that and see what happens? 🙂

CheerZ

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

It sounds like as you already have a router then you need to configure your Orbi as an Access Point(AP) only?  If you can login to your Orbi via a web browser, you will see an option to enable AP mode.  Try that and see what happens? 🙂

CheerZ

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router at the modem, if so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@ScrantonMark wrote:

I attempted to install the Orbi system (with one satellite) yesterday and I have been unable to connect to the internet.  The installation went smoothly.  I even made it to the point where I could rename it and add my own password.  

The two Orbi units seem to be working you can select them as your wifi option in addition I ran the speed check and that worked.   I checked the cable modem and it recognizes the Orbi as connected.  I know the internet is working I have a second router connected to that same modem and it works fine. 

The error message reads something to the effect of "Unable to find secure connection to the internet"  

I have rebooted the cable modem several times and I have shut both Orbi units off.

Short of doing a hard reset and starting over I am not sure what other steps to try

Message 3 of 5
ScrantonMark
Aspirant

Yes it was the two routers in conflict after a bit ot trail and error i got the Orbi in AP mode and it works great.  My Cable modem/router is probably 5-6 years old I am surprised that checking this is not part of the setup instructions I am hardly cutting edge with my setup .   

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements