Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot factory reset, and username/password not recognized

Philhf
Aspirant

Cannot factory reset, and username/password not recognized

A week ago I installed  Orbi Router with one satellite. Everything worked fine except that I was unableto log in to the router 192.168.1.1 as I had wrong user or password error message, even though my input was correct in that regard. I tried resetting password but failed the security question as to what was the name of the first Netgear device I had bought. I would not have chosen that as a decurity question anyway?????

I then tried factory reset by holding paperclip on reset button for more that 10 secs untilit turned amber. In spite of that all the settings remail and I still cannot log in using my password or the factory default.I am totally frustrated but fortunatly I bought at Costco within past 2 weeks sowillbe able to return it.Before I do that, is there something I have missed out in the passwors or reset process?

My model# is actually RBR20 but when I enter that above ,it disappears.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Philhf wrote:

I then tried factory reset by holding paperclip on reset button for more that 10 secs untilit turned amber. In spite of that all the settings remail and I still cannot log in using my password or the factory default..................

Are you sure that you did this factory rest procedure on the Router (the unit with blue top) and not the satellite? If you factory rest a router it should loose all configuration and you will need to go through the initial setup from scratch.

Message 3 of 7
Philhf
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try connecting with ethernet cable and repeat the procedure when I get back home.

I still do not understand why my password was not recognized as I had it in Last Pass and had used it to login to the router twice since I set it up. Nor do I understand why (on trying to reset my pw) I am asked for the name of the first Netgear product I may have bought. I would not have chosen that as a security question. Maybe I have been hacked?

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Philhf wrote:

I still do not understand why my password was not recognized as I had it in Last Pass and had used it to login to the router twice since I set it up. Nor do I understand why (on trying to reset my pw) I am asked for the name of the first Netgear product I may have bought. I would not have chosen that as a security question. Maybe I have been hacked?

You were not hacked, don't worry. The password reset procedure does not proprly work in the current software, many other people have reported the same issue with password reset. Hopefully this will be fixed soon in the coming software.

Message 5 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

Did you make sure you factory reset both the satellite and the router? Also, try holding the button in with the pin for 30 seconds.

Message 6 of 7
Philhf
Aspirant

YesI had done all that. I will have to put this issue on hold, as I received a guest booking for our Airbnb, and seeing as the router is working I am not risking fooling with it until we get a gap of a week in guest bookings. In the meantime thank you all for your suggestions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7