Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot find Orbi Router IP address

Nick91
Aspirant

Cannot find Orbi Router IP address

I setup a Orbi router (RBR50) and satellite (RBS50) last weekend with my FIOS router. The Orbis system is AP mode and the FIOS wifi is turned off. I'm connecting with ethernet cable from FIOS port to Internet port of the Orbi Router. The Orbi system is working great and I can connect all my devices without issue. I cannot connect to the Orbi router with the Orbi or Genie apps. When I log into the FIOS router (192.168.1.1) I can see all of the connected devices IP addresses including the Orbi Satelite. However I cannot find the Orbi Router in the list. I tried finding it by looking up the MAC address but it's just not there. I know it's working because I can unplug the Satelite and all my wifi devices still connect to my Orbi Router. Again the entire system appears to work fine, just can't login in to the Orbi Router, just the Satelite. I need to somehow determined the IP of the router. I was thinking of hitting the reset button on the Router, but wasn't sure if it would go back to the FW it shipped with (I updated FW last week to the latest).
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

It's possible.  It's behaving like the FIOS router is blocking the Orbi and refusing to give it an IP address. You should be able to create a static DHCP mapping on the FIOS which maps a specific IP to the Orbi Router based on its MAC address.

If that still doesn't work, you probably should just reset the Orbi and start over.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

If it's working I wouldn't reset it.  Download a network scanning tool that reports IP addresses of LAN devices.  Something like "fing" would work.

Message 2 of 10
Nick91
Aspirant

Interesting tool, thanks. It did show a device named vmb4000.home with an IP address of 192.168.1.17 and reports that it's a Netgear device, but I think that is my Arlo Pro system.
The Satelite has an IP address of 192.168.1.250 This is the only device that has a number above 200. Everything else is in the teens and all of the set top boxes are in the low 100's. If I had to guess I would expect the Orbi router is in the 200 range as well.
I should also mention the Orbi and Genie app we're working earlier in the week, but after I did the App update yesterday I haven't been able to connect - weird.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 10
st_shaw
Master

Strange. If you run fing on an ipad or iphone while you are connected to the Orbi it will show that you are connected and list the IP address.

Another option is to run the command "arp -a" on linux or Windows.  It will list IP addresses by mac address.

Another thing to try is to ping orbilogin.com

If all that fails you can reset your system and it won't affect your firmware.

Message 4 of 10
Nick91
Aspirant

Ok, I made a little more progress. 

While both Orbi Router and Satelite were powered on I ran the "arp -a" as you suggested and the Router MAC address did not show up in the list. I then did the following:

1. Turn off WIFI on my laptop

2. Unplug the Satelite

3. Unplug Router - Plug back in

4. After Wifi was back up - turn on Wifi on laptop and connect to network 

Note the Satelite was still unplugged so I was now connected to the Router Wifi.

When I ran "arp -a" on the laptop the Router MAC address finally showed up but with a strange IP address  - 169.254.98.89

I tried accessing this IP through a web browser and get the message "Destination host unreachable" when I try pinging it.

Any ideas on how this IP address got assigned and why can't I connect to it?

Message 5 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@Nick91 wrote:

Ok, I made a little more progress. 

While both Orbi Router and Satelite were powered on I ran the "arp -a" as you suggested and the Router MAC address did not show up in the list. I then did the following:

1. Turn off WIFI on my laptop

2. Unplug the Satelite

3. Unplug Router - Plug back in

4. After Wifi was back up - turn on Wifi on laptop and connect to network 

Note the Satelite was still unplugged so I was now connected to the Router Wifi.

When I ran "arp -a" on the laptop the Router MAC address finally showed up but with a strange IP address  - 169.254.98.89

I tried accessing this IP through a web browser and get the message "Destination host unreachable" when I try pinging it.

Any ideas on how this IP address got assigned and why can't I connect to it?

That IP address is "self assigned." This happens when a device is not given an IP address via DHCP. Either your Orbi router is not getting an IP address assigned by your FIOS router, or you did the scan before the IP address was assigned.

You should try scanning with a laptop wired to the Orbi router.  If you get the same result, you should be able to connect to the Orbi by manually assigning your laptop an IP address in the same range, like 169.254.98.90.

Message 6 of 10
Nick91
Aspirant

I was able to see the Router IP again when connected directly to the router and Wifi on laptop turned off. I did manually set the laptop IP to 169.254.98.90 but still could not ping the router IP or login to it.
Is it possible I messed something up when I initially setup the Orbi's? Before I did the setup, I manually upgraded the FW on both the Satelite and Router. But then again the Orbi App did work at one point this past week.
Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

It's possible.  It's behaving like the FIOS router is blocking the Orbi and refusing to give it an IP address. You should be able to create a static DHCP mapping on the FIOS which maps a specific IP to the Orbi Router based on its MAC address.

If that still doesn't work, you probably should just reset the Orbi and start over.

Message 8 of 10
Nick91
Aspirant

Success!

I set the Orbi router MAC to a static IP (192.168.1.251) in the FIOS router as you suggested and after rebooting the router I can login with both the mobile apps and web browser.

Thanks for all your help ST_SHAW!

Message 9 of 10
st_shaw
Master

You're welcome.  I'm glad you got it working.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7