Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot log into RBK50 router using MS Edge browser

johnniej
Tutor

Cannot log into RBK50 router using MS Edge browser

I cannot log into my router with orbilogin.com when I use MS Edge browser.

Works fine with Chrome or if I use Internet Explorer. 

I have started to use the Edge browser and kind of like it except I don't want to use it if I can't log into my router if I have to.

I had to change the IP address of the router because Xfinity uses the 10.0.0.1. But like I said I can reach the admin login page with Chrome or Internet Explorer either using the orbilogin.com or by typing in the IP address but not when using MS Edge. 

I'm using Windows 10.

I also tried disabling the Firewall in Windows Defender but that didn't help.

Can you lead me in the right direction so I can solve the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
johnniej
Tutor

Re: Cannot log into RBK50 router using MS Edge browser

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 12

All Replies
randomousity
Luminary

It sounds like you have two routers on your network: the Orbi, and your modem, which it sounds like is actually a modem and router combination unit. You need to put one of them in bridge mode. The Orbi calls this AP mode. Which one you use as a router is up to you, and depends on which one you prefer as far as features, etc. But try putting one in bridge/AP mode, then release/renew the IP address of your device(s), and see if that fixes it for you.

Message 2 of 12

While @randomousity is on to something about the IP address, I fear that correcting the network configuration may not make Edge work.

Browser makers all round are tightening up on their security to prevent naughty things from attacking us. Sadly, in the process they also break things that we do want to work.

Using MS Edge, Cannot connect to router, please re... - NETGEAR Communities

If @IrvSp has problems, there isn't much hope for the rest of us.

Message 3 of 12

@johnniej wrote:

I cannot log into my router with orbilogin.com when I use MS Edge browser.

Try the IP address.

Usually 192.168.1.1

Message 4 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Yup, as I stated in the link, there is a WORK-AROUND, not really a fix. See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/all/microsoft-edge-browser-cant-access-network-ip/1e7..., April 25th, 2018 enter in the thead.

Message 5 of 12

Workaround not needed here. But no harm in using it.

@IrvSp wrote:

...not really a fix.

It is a toss up as to who should fix it. Microsoft or Netgear.

If all other browsers can handle this, I'd finger the Edge developers. After all Netgear is only one victim of a disease that seems to have hit many other services.

It might help if, like some other browsers, Edge threw up a warning to users that also allowed them to cast their fate to the wind and login anyway.

But Netgear could also help by implementing more recent addressing, including the much demanded https.

Message 6 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, personally, I'd blame MS more than anyone.

Why? IE works but not Edge? Apparently MS changed the handling or requirement for Trusted Sites it seems in Edge. No warning either or advice on what to do?

MS has a habit of doing what it wants sometimes. Thinking they know better than you what you want. They also at times have and will make it hard for competitor's products. Some changes that can cripple or make competitor products less desireable. Some of it is understandable. It is their product that has been 'reproduced', as in the Office applications. Simple changes or additions make the competing products less desireable and the they scramble to catch up. Perfectly legal. Including applications within Windows, EU didn't think so with some 'parts', did they. OS 'wars', locking down PC makers with restrictive licenses. To get the cheapest per copy license Windows had to be put on every PC sold. Oh, you wanted another OS, no problem, you get both Windows and the one you want (sometimes not installed even) and of course the higher price to include the other OS.

At least A/V's and Firewalls either 'know about' or allow you to specify you LAN IP Address (and even on first attempt to use it ask for permission) so why aren't PRIVATE IP Address ranges pre-trusted (maybe during install of first use rather than 'rejecting' them outright with NO warning)?

If Edge has as many followers/users as MS thinks/hopes, and many Web sites with problems don't you think MS would have notified or posts somewhere a warning? They did for SMB1, didn't they, directing you to contact your h/w vendor if you have a problem?

You really have to ask why does IE work but not Edge? Same s/w platform, same s/w vendor. We know the web site didn't change? More than why? The question should be what made this happen?

Message 7 of 12

@IrvSp wrote:

@michaelkenward, personally, I'd blame MS more than anyone.

Why? IE works but not Edge?

Why Microsoft? Because it writes Edge.

Just because it gets things right in one area does not absolve it from responsibility for the stuff it gets wrong.

If Microsoft Word, for example, were perfect, would that mean that I should not blame it for defects in Microsoft Outlook?

Message 8 of 12
johnniej
Tutor

Hi,

Ok I found a fix.

I had to add the Orbi router to a trusted website in the Internet properties and it worked.

I added the sites as trusted websites and then restarted my computer and was able to log into the router from MS Edge.

Here's a link to the page where I found the answer and how to do it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Message 9 of 12
johnniej
Tutor

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@johnniej , posted the same here (and forgot about it too) under https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Using-MS-Edge-Cannot-connect-to-router-pleas... as a new thread. Maybe it should be a 'sticky'?

Message 11 of 12
johnniej
Tutor

Thank you IrvSp.

That's where I got the link from but got lost in everything I was doing and couldn't remember where I got the link from.

Thanks again for your help. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7