Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot see Synology NAS on LAN after installing Orbi through Frontier Fios router

Mrb4557
Aspirant

Cannot see Synology NAS on LAN after installing Orbi through Frontier Fios router

I have set up Orbi in AP mode, connected to my Frontier Fios modem/router. Have disabled wireless on the Fios router. New Orbi network working fine. I can see my NAS in my mac's (network) finder window. However, Synology's web assistant cannot find my diskstation on the LAN, so I am unable to access DSM. 

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Many thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot see Synology NAS on LAN after installing Orbi through Frontier Fios router

We are not allowed to ship you a gun.  However.....

Is the NAS connected to the Orbi or to the FIOS?

Even though the FIOS WiFi has been disabled, the FIOS box is probably still acting as a router.

It assigns IP addresses to everything directly connected to it, including the NAS and the Orbi.

When the Orbi is also acting as a router, it assigns IP addresses to everything connected behind the Orbi.

This "double NAT" is a source of many problems.

Either the FIOS or the Orbi should be taken out of router mode.

The simplest thing to do is change the Orbi from a router to Access Point (AP) mode.

p.s. Sorry about the sick humor.

Message 2 of 9
Mrb4557
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! NAS is attached to the Orbi.

I did set the Orbi to AP rather than router. I also disabled wireless on the Fios router. Is there something else I'm missing?

Appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Synology web assistant is now working correctly and nothing got broken, you can mark the post "Solved".

Most of us tend to assign specific IP addresses to things like printers, NAS, and other items that are relatively permanent.  If you have not done that already, it has to be done on the router that assigns IP addresses via DHCP, which means the FIOS.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Mrb4557 wrote:

I can see my NAS in my mac's (network) finder window.  

Perfectly fine.

@Mrb4557 wrote:

However, Synology's web assistant cannot find my diskstation on the LAN, so I am unable to access DSM. 

These Web Assistant type things depend on the NAS being able to establish a connection to the NAS vendor cloud, and try to create a correlation between the public IP address, the NAS LAN IP, ...   Primary usage is the initial installation IMHO. No idea what makes it fail here however.

The better solution to find the Syno NAS on the LAN would be using Bonjour (visible in the Safari Bonjour bookmarks) or the Synology Assistant (available for Windows, MacOS, 32- and 64-bit Ubuntu (.deb)) "Synology Assistant is a desktop utility that searches for Synology DiskStations in the local area network. It helps you set up and install DSM on your DiskStation, connect to network or multi-functional printers shared by your DiskStation, setup Wake on LAN (WOL), or view monitored resources of your DiskStation." - check the Synology downloads for your NAS model. On Windows it can become visble in Explorer as a Storage Device (by UPnP discovery) - no crappy tools required.

Message 5 of 9
Mrb4557
Aspirant

Sorry to be unclear...problem still unresolved. Web assistant still cannot see Nas on the LAN.

Message 6 of 9
Mrb4557
Aspirant

...and having downloaded Synology assistant (desktop utility) my NAS still cannot be seen on the LAN...so still unable to aceess DSM, Plex etc.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Plenty of other better, more secure processes available to discover the Syno NAS on your LAN using a Mac, Windows and some Linux/DEB platform than using the (insecure, non-https!) http://find.synology.com/ . I've offered you alternate and much better solutions to discover the NAS on your LAN, without going over the Internet. I'm neither Synology nor Netgear employee or contractor and won't go and do reverse engineering of Syno's Web based discovery using their cloud infrastructure. Challenge Synology support or community what might break this...

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Mrb4557 wrote:

...and having downloaded Synology assistant (desktop utility) my NAS still cannot be seen on the LAN...so still unable to aceess DSM, Plex etc.

So there is obviously a problem related to your NAS. Wrong forum now - head to Synology support or challenge the Synology community. Plex can in general be discovered and connected from the Plex TV cloud, or from Plex Apps on the same [W]LAN.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7