Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot set my own DNS servers if I choose "Get Dynamically from ISP" for my Internet I

evil_mike
Apprentice

Cannot set my own DNS servers if I choose "Get Dynamically from ISP" for my Internet IP address

Subejct line says it all. Is this a bug or working as designed? If the latter, why?! DNS should have nothing to do with whether or not my IP address is dynamically assigned by the ISP or not. Also, this is not the case on other routers made by Netgear (like the XS500, which I was just testing, but decided to go back to my Orbi for reasons I won't get into here).

This makes it impossible for me to set Cloudflare or Google as my preferred DNS resolver at the router, which is kind of (actually VERY) frustrating.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
evil_mike
Apprentice

Re: Cannot set my own DNS servers if I choose "Get Dynamically from ISP" for my Internet I

Here's my workaround/solution, in case anyone else runs into the same issue (and I DO think it's a bug):

1. Temporarily disable Circle. This wil allow you to independantly control the selection in DNS Servers on the Internet Setup page.

2. Change your DNS servers to whatever you want them to be and click Apply.

3. Re-enable Circle.

4. Double-check to make sure your DNS servers haven't been changed back (mine weren't).

5. Profit.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

You may be (are) confused....

If you go to the web gui (probably 192.168.1.1) and click ADVANCED and INTERNET SETUP you will see you can get your IP address either dynamically or staticly

Below that is an entirely separate DNS entry...  Do you want to get those DNS IPs dynamically from your ISP or do you want to put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in there (plus a third one)?

Read more carefully your setup screens and I believe you will find it does everything you want it to do.

Message 2 of 9
evil_mike
Apprentice

I’m not confused 🙄. Using firmware V2.3.0.32, I cannot choose their own DNS server is get automatically from my ISP is selected, regardless of where in the UI (and yes, I was using the web UI) I try to change it
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@evil_mike wrote:
I’m not confused 🙄. Using firmware V2.3.0.32, I cannot choose their own DNS server is get automatically from my ISP is selected, regardless of where in the UI (and yes, I was using the web UI) I try to change it

I have 2.3.0.32.  On the "Internet Setup" page, there are two choice circles: the top one says "Get Automatically from ISP" and the circle under it says "Use These DNS Servers".  On the snapshot (attached), I have selected the "Use" choice and entered the IP of Google DNS 8.8.8.8.  If a person wanted to, he could enter a 192.168.1.x IP address for his own local DNS server.

Message 4 of 9
evil_mike
Apprentice

Right, I'm totally with you, and that is how I expected it to work. For some reason, when I have "automatically blah blah ISP" selected, I cannot change to "Use These DNS Servers." I can only do that if I manually enter a static IP address for Internet IP address. The attached screenshot shows where I'm trying to click and NOPE!  Nothing.

I have tried on both Safari and Chrome to make sure it isn't a funky browser issue.

So is it a bug with my specific setup? Is it because I'm using Circle? Armor? (Not that using either of them should make a lick of difference here)

I'd love for Netgear to chime in on this one...

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@evil_mike wrote:

So is it a bug with my specific setup? Is it because I'm using Circle? Armor? (Not that using either of them should make a lick of difference here)

Actually, you may have discovered the explanation, "Circle".  Having no children to protect, I have not activated Disney Circle.  We would need someone knowledgeable to comment here, but I have a dim memory of the way "Circle Works" is at the DNS level.  i.e. by intercepting DNS queries, Circle could say, "oh, no, young person.  YOU are not allowed to browse THERE at this time of day."  (or something along that line).  I am pretty certain that Circle does not reside ON the Orbi, so there is some mechanism connecting user devices with a cloud based system.

This would be a simple thing to test.  Disable Circle and see if the DNS selection is restored.

p.s. I also have not activated "Armor".  Too much "Big Brother" for me, not to mention a monthly fee.

Message 6 of 9
evil_mike
Apprentice

That was a good suggestion, as it answered the question (disabling Circle “fixed” my issue), but it doesn’t answer why it’s happening. Circle shouldn’t care what server is doing name resolution (especially since I can have circle enabled and choose my dns servers if I have a static WAN IP). This seems like a bug to me more than anything.

Also, you were probably thinking of how Circle does ARP poisoning (how it magically redirects traffic and stuff).

Message 7 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@evil_mike wrote:

Also, you were probably thinking of how Circle does ARP poisoning (how it magically redirects traffic and stuff).

You didn't happen to catch Circle staring in the mirror with a wry smile and holding an apple by any chance?...   Man Wink

Message 8 of 9
evil_mike
Apprentice

Here's my workaround/solution, in case anyone else runs into the same issue (and I DO think it's a bug):

1. Temporarily disable Circle. This wil allow you to independantly control the selection in DNS Servers on the Internet Setup page.

2. Change your DNS servers to whatever you want them to be and click Apply.

3. Re-enable Circle.

4. Double-check to make sure your DNS servers haven't been changed back (mine weren't).

5. Profit.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7