Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot update RBR50 Router, but could updatd RBS satellite

cmihaly
Tutor

Cannot update RBR50 Router, but could updatd RBS satellite

I bought a new RBK50 router.  I instaled int, having troubles with internet connectivity.  The Advanced Firmware Auto says it is up to date with 1.4.18 but the Netgear Support site says there is a 2.5.1.32. I downloaded both the RBR and RBS50 zip filles, installed and updated teh satelite and that woriked.  But when I click browse and select the RBR img fie for the routiner, and hit upload, it spins for a while and then just returns to the screen without updating.

How do you update the router to the new image?  

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot update RBR50 Router, but could updatd RBS satellite

Your version is SO OLD that it might need to update to something before "212" in order to be able to get to 212.

@FURRYe38has identified an intermediate step before.  Maybe he will remember what you need to do.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@cmihaly wrote:

I bought a new RBK50 router.  I instaled int, having troubles with internet connectivity.  The Advanced Firmware Auto says it is up to date with 1.4.18 but the Netgear Support site says there is a 2.5.1.32. I downloaded both the RBR and RBS50 zip filles, installed and updated teh satelite and that woriked.  But when I click browse and select the RBR img fie for the routiner, and hit upload, it spins for a while and then just returns to the screen without updating.

How do you update the router to the new image?  

Firmware 1.4.18 is SO OLD that it cannot be updated directly to the most current firmware.  The technical reason is that Netgear engineers wrote a hard limit on file size into the original Orbi firmware which prevented updating when the firmware got bigger than that.  They released a special version of firmware a couple of years ago to increase the limit.  Check out these release notes:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30 

Message 2 of 6
cmihaly
Tutor

I was just coming back to update.  Saw this, but it will not let me update to v2.2.1.212 either.  It uploads and then says invalid firmware.   So still stuck, now my satellite is updated bu the router will not update.

Any way around this?

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Your version is SO OLD that it might need to update to something before "212" in order to be able to get to 212.

@FURRYe38has identified an intermediate step before.  Maybe he will remember what you need to do.

Message 4 of 6
cmihaly
Tutor

Which was the case.  Had to update to 2.0.0.74 then to 2.2.1.212 and then to 2.5 seomthing forogt and finally to 2.5.1.32.   Yeah.  iI am now on the latest, the admin console works a lot better, so hoping this will fix my other issues with internet connectivity I hope...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, v74 is the key then v212. Glad you got it upgraded.

Enjoy. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7