Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot update RBS40 firmware to V.2.1.1.16 "This firmware file is incorrect ..."

EnolaGuy
Aspirant

Cannot update RBS40 firmware to V.2.1.1.16 "This firmware file is incorrect ..."

On my Orbi router (RBR40) home page, I saw a purplish box showing that a firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it.

I had to wait a couple minutes for the  router to update and the satellites to reconnect.

I still see the same message, my Orbi router is at version V2.1.1.16, and both satellites are at version V.1.12.0.20, with V2.1.1.16 available.

I tried clicking Update All. After a while, the satellites appear in the Attached Devices again, but still at version V.1.12.0.20 of the firmware.

I downloaded the RBS40-V2.1.1.16.img file from the Netgear support website and tried to do a manual update of the satellite from the router's web page. However, I got the response "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I power cycled the satellite, got it's IP address, and connected directly to its web page. While directly connected to the satellite's web page I see the the firmware version as V1.12.0.20. From there. From there, I tried to manually update the firmware. Once again, I received the message ""This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I did a Google search, and it appears this is a common problem and that Netgear Orbi apparent has problems with updating satellites.

For what it's worth, other than being unable to update the satellite firmware, the system appears to be working.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: Cannot update RBS40 firmware to V.2.1.1.16 "This firmware file is incorrect ..."

This is just a guess but sometimes jumping too many versions won't work. I can see 2.0.0.56 and 2.1.1.12. Try selectively upgrading through one or both of those intermediate releases before jumping to 2.1.1.16.
Message 2 of 4
RealBatman
Initiate

Thanks TheEther — updating to a version 2.0.X and then updating to version 2.1.X worked on a RBS50.

The Router (RBR50) auto-updated to 2.0.X fine, but I had to manually apply firmware 2.1.X. The satellite didn't detect 2.0 or 2.1 and I had to manually upgrade to those version in order.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 4
steveko
Initiate

Thanks! This worked for me as well! I first upgraded to RBS40-V2.0.0.56 and then to the current version (RBS40-V2.1.4.10).

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7