Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Canon Printer

dl42
Aspirant

Canon Printer

Hi

I have a wierd one!

I have Canon MG5750 allinone printer connected to the orbi RBK13 system via wifi.

Happened to notice one day it was printing very slowly with long delays of doing nothing part way through a page.

On investigation at the printer end the signal strength and signal quality was showing as low.   In the orbi system the printer had attached itself to the most distant satellite even though the router for the system is in the same room as the printer.

Switched off the satellites and the then printer connected to the router with significantly higher wifi strength and quality and printer speed improved.

After much testing (switching satellites on and off and moving them) it appears the printer will always connect to the weakest wifi signal when powering on or coming out of sleep mode.

Been onto to Canon and they can't offer any information or reasoning.

Anyone noticed or seen behaviour like this?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Canon Printer

I would turn off the distance RBS and see if the printer connects to the RBR. 

I would contact the Mfr of the printer for help and support regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 8
dl42
Aspirant

As mentioned it will connect to the RBR if the satellites are off and Canon are not able to offer any guidance.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Message 4 of 8
dl42
Aspirant

RBR to sat1 3m through an internal wall.

RBR to sat2 7m on upper floor through 2 internal walls and ceiling.

printer to RBR 2.5m in the same room.

printer connected to RBR shows 75% for both signal and quality.

printer connected to sat1 shows 45% signal and 35% quality.

printer connected to sat2 shows 35% for both signal and quality.

The printer will always connect to the weakest signal.

Will only connect to RBR when both satellites are off.

Message 5 of 8
JustMe27
Guide

Consider clearing the WiFi settings on the printer. The Canon site should be able to tell you how to do a factory reset. Before reattaching your printer to the network power down the satellite(s). Reconnect the printer to the router. Let the connection settle a bit. Print a page. After things are working well, power the satellite(s) back up.

My fantasy is that the printer will stay with the router.

I had some luck doing this with an HP printer.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
dl42
Aspirant

I had already tried clearing and reseting the wifi settings which made no difference but had not done a full reset on the printer.

I have done so now and turned off all bar the RBR.   All set up and connected fine but as soon as the printer is switched off and on or comes out of sleep it will connect to the weakest satellite/signal.

Very odd!

All other devices in the house phones, tablets, laptops behave as expected - connect to the strongest signal/satellite.

Clearly a Canon issue - waiting for them to come back to me but not holding my breath!

Message 7 of 8
JustMe27
Guide

dl42:

Aargh! I'm sorry it didn't help. Come on, Canon!

@dl42 wrote:

I had already tried clearing and reseting the wifi settings which made no difference but had not done a full reset on the printer.

I have done so now and turned off all bar the RBR.   All set up and connected fine but as soon as the printer is switched off and on or comes out of sleep it will connect to the weakest satellite/signal.

Very odd!

All other devices in the house phones, tablets, laptops behave as expected - connect to the strongest signal/satellite.

Clearly a Canon issue - waiting for them to come back to me but not holding my breath!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7