Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant connect Orbi Sat to Orbi Router while in AP mode on AT&T Fiber

HoustonRider
Aspirant

Cant connect Orbi Sat to Orbi Router while in AP mode on AT&T Fiber

Im using my Orbi RBR40 Router in AP mode for AT&T Fiber. Every wireless device is connecting to the Router, none on the Satellites. 

Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

Satellites Firmware Version V2.3.0.28

Im aware the satellites need to be updated, how can I update them in AP mode? I've tried using ethernet to connect, but still showing "waiting for connection" on orbilogin.com. I can download the updates, but no way to get to the satellites. 

If I switch back to Router Mode, Im sure the router will see the satellites, but will I lose the ATT connection? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
HoustonRider
Aspirant

I couldnt get the Sats to sync to the Router, so I again reset the Router/all Sats to Factory defaults, rebooted and plugged Ethernet direct to Router, while leaving it also connected to the ATT modem.  The web startup detected the AT modem and said I could continue in Router mode..... so, I went on with it, reset to my previous password, relocated all of the satellites, and it all looks to be working properly. 

I uninstalled all devices from the Orbi app as well, it detected them and its working as well. 

I still have 17 out of 18 devices connected to the router, only one shows to be connected to one of the satellites. Not sure how to "tell it" which devices. The router is in a closet behind a fireplace, in another room, and satellites are in further points around the house. Yet almost all still point to the router. 

Looks like it is solved, I appreciate the efforts this afternoon! Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the RBS FW files on a wired PC. Connect a wired PC directly to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS with a press of the reset button for 15 seconds. Wait about 4-5 minutes. You should be able to open a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.250 and the RBS web page should be seen. adming and PW is password. Send the FW file directly to the RBS. 

I recommend factory reseting the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. You should be able to configure AP mode on the RBR. First, then add the RBS lastly. I would turn OFF the RBS while you configure the RBR for AP mode. Once done, then add the RBS. 

How is the RBR connected to the isp modem/router? Directly to the back or thru a LAN switch? 

@HoustonRider wrote:

Im using my Orbi RBR40 Router in AP mode for AT&T Fiber. Every wireless device is connecting to the Router, none on the Satellites. 

Im aware the satellites need to be updated, how can I update them in AP mode? I've tried using ethernet to connect, but still showing "waiting for connection" on orbilogin.com. I can download the updates, but no way to get to the satellites. 

If I switch back to Router Mode, Im sure the router will see the satellites, but will I lose the ATT connection? 

Message 2 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

Thanks, I will try that. Im on a Macbook Pro, so I will have to get an Ethernet Adapter. Smiley Sad

When I log in to the reset satellite, Im not on orbilogin, how do I upload the new FW? Is the interface the same?

The RBR is connected directly via ethernet. 

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Once in the RBS web page, there is a Firmware Update section in the UI. 

Message 4 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

shouldn't these be the same:

Message 5 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@HoustonRider wrote:

I believe the issue is using "orbilogin.com" in the web browser with an ethernet connection.  Ordinarily, the Orbi router translates "orbilogin.com" to the IP address of the Orbi router.  When in AP mode, my understanding is that the Orbi continues to do this for WiFi devices, but does not do so for ethernet connected devices.  Can you please try this:

• Use a web browser on a WiFi device (smartphone, whatever) and connect to "orbilogin.com".
  • Open the attached devices page and write down the IP address of the Orbi satellite you wish to update.
  • Connect to the satellite IP address using your ethernet connected device: http://<ip of satellite>.
  • Use the "Firmware Update" choice on the satellite Home Page.

Or.... I have memories of things that are not correct. (sigh)

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

That would work if his RBS were connected to the RBR. There not currently. Once he get them manually updated by directly connecting to them, then they should be all on the same page. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

@HoustonRider wrote:

I believe the issue is using "orbilogin.com" in the web browser with an ethernet connection.  Ordinarily, the Orbi router translates "orbilogin.com" to the IP address of the Orbi router.  When in AP mode, my understanding is that the Orbi continues to do this for WiFi devices, but does not do so for ethernet connected devices.  Can you please try this:

• Use a web browser on a WiFi device (smartphone, whatever) and connect to "orbilogin.com".
  • Open the attached devices page and write down the IP address of the Orbi satellite you wish to update.
  • Connect to the satellite IP address using your ethernet connected device: http://<ip of satellite>.
  • Use the "Firmware Update" choice on the satellite Home Page.

Or.... I have memories of things that are not correct. (sigh)

Message 7 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

found a laptop with ethernet, so ive reset the RBS and no luck accessing the landing page for the orbi, just the AT&T access/control page. To be very, very clear, Im still accessing internet via Wifi AND plugged directly into the RBS via ethernet. 

Is there a step Im missing?  

Message 8 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ditch this:  AP mode

IF posssible run the Orbi by itself.

Message 9 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That would work if his RBS were connected to the RBR. There not currently. Once he get them manually updated by directly connecting to them, then they should be all on the same page. 

Sorry, I read the message to say "devices are not connecting to the satellite".  I agree that if the Attached Devices page does not show the satellite, then it is not connected.  I thought the issue was he could not get to the Orbi by entering "orbilogin.com".  My Bad.

Message 10 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

This worked. I logged in via my Mac and jotted down all the IP addresses, then directed browser to each. Looks like Im in now. Hopefully updating works.

Thanks!
Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you turn OFF The wifi on the mac? This needs to be disabled first while you have ethernet connected to the RBS. 

The RBR doesn't need to be changed. Just LAN connect to the back of the RBS. 

@HoustonRider wrote:

found a laptop with ethernet, so ive reset the RBS and no luck accessing the landing page for the orbi, just the AT&T access/control page. To be very, very clear, Im still accessing internet via Wifi AND plugged directly into the RBS via ethernet. 

Is there a step Im missing?  

Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries. Were just using the direct connect method with the RBS and a wired PC to get the FW updated on them. Once there updated, things will all be on the same page. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sorry, I read the message to say "devices are not connecting to the satellite".  I agree that if the Attached Devices page does not show the satellite, then it is not connected.  I thought the issue was he could not get to the Orbi by entering "orbilogin.com".  My Bad.

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

There ya go. After manually sending the file. Let it process. Reset the RBS after wards by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds, then go to readd. I'd to one at a time. 

@HoustonRider wrote:
This worked. I logged in via my Mac and jotted down all the IP addresses, then directed browser to each. Looks like Im in now. Hopefully updating works.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@HoustonRider wrote:

just the AT&T access/control page.  

One might conclude from this that the Orbi (in AP mode) is providing WiFi and the AT&T device (in router mode) is also providing WiFi.

Most Orbi users find having two WiFi systems competing for bandwidth to be less useful than having only one WiFi network.

i.e. they disable WiFi on their internet modem/router device.

Message 15 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

ok thanks.

but I need to reset and re-add the Router as well? Im using ATT Fiber and the only way (that I am aware) to use this with Orbi is to run AP mode, then add Satellites.  Im not sure I remember how to set up the Orbi Router new with the ATT modem. 

Message 16 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@HoustonRider wrote:

Thanks!

Good luck...we'll look for your next post about firmware issues.  Not clear from your original post why you thought you needed update anything in the first place..??

Message 17 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi is working in AP mode, then it's "working".  Disabling WiFi on the AT&T router happens on the AT&T.

(That "landing page" you mentioned?)

Or, a call to AT&T and ask them to "turn off the WiFi"

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

First see if the RBS will connect to the RBR. If not, then reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

Glad the FW update cleared the mis-match in FW between the RBR and RBS. They won't connect if there not on the same page or behind.

For modems with built in routers:

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If your leaving the Orbi in AP mode, then use option #3. 

@HoustonRider wrote:

ok thanks.

but I need to reset and re-add the Router as well? Im using ATT Fiber and the only way (that I am aware) to use this with Orbi is to run AP mode, then add Satellites.  Im not sure I remember how to set up the Orbi Router new with the ATT modem. 

Message 19 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

I have two satellites that are not connected to the Router.
Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know after you get them updated with FW, if they connect to the RBR using the button press. 

I would do this while in the same rooms as the RBR. If you can get them correctly connected, then turn off and place back in remote locations. 

@HoustonRider wrote:
I have two satellites that are not connected to the Router.

Message 21 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

I couldnt get the Sats to sync to the Router, so I again reset the Router/all Sats to Factory defaults, rebooted and plugged Ethernet direct to Router, while leaving it also connected to the ATT modem.  The web startup detected the AT modem and said I could continue in Router mode..... so, I went on with it, reset to my previous password, relocated all of the satellites, and it all looks to be working properly. 

I uninstalled all devices from the Orbi app as well, it detected them and its working as well. 

I still have 17 out of 18 devices connected to the router, only one shows to be connected to one of the satellites. Not sure how to "tell it" which devices. The router is in a closet behind a fireplace, in another room, and satellites are in further points around the house. Yet almost all still point to the router. 

Looks like it is solved, I appreciate the efforts this afternoon! Thanks!

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Might look at this suggestion if your using the isp modem/router in router mode with the Orbi router in router mode:

Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can keep the Orbi router in Router mode.

Glad the system is up and running for you now. I recommend making a backup configuration to file on the RBR for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed in the future. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 27
CrimpOn
Guru

@HoustonRider wrote:

I still have 17 out of 18 devices connected to the router, only one shows to be connected to one of the satellites. Not sure how to "tell it" which devices.

One of the frustrating features of mesh networks is that the device decides which access point it will connect with.  Truly mobile devices, such as smart phones, are designed to constantly compare access points and switch to a different one when that connection would be better.  There are a number of internet standards to guide this behavior, and the Orbi supports all of them.  However, devices that typically remain in one place usually are not programmed to "roam".  As a result, when the Orbi router begins broadcasting WiFi first and the device is already looking for a connection, the device may attach to the Orbi router and simply "quit looking."  One solution that sometimes works is to tell the device to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then select the Orbi from the list of available WiFi networks, and see if will connect to a satellite instead.

@HoustonRider wrote:

The router is in a closet behind a fireplace, in another room,

Depending on how much brick is in the fireplace/chimney, this may affect WiFi signal strength for devices on the "other side" of the fireplace.

Message 24 of 27
HoustonRider
Aspirant

Depending on how much brick is in the fireplace/chimney, this may affect WiFi signal strength for devices on the "other side" of the fireplace.

it’s 6” or more of solid rock, then 3’ of wall space and every device connected to the router is on the opposite side of the fireplace. No trouble connecting. Just can’t get any of them to connect to the satellites. Crazy.

And the 2.4/5.0 radios are disabled on the ATT modem, nothing changed when I reset the Orbi Routers.

I want to add the outdoor satellite for the garage and back patio areas, but wanted to make sure this set up was 100% before I proceed.
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7