Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cat5or6 cable to shop 100ft away from router- Can I add a second Orbi router or a satellite or ??

Kavorka
Aspirant

Cat5or6 cable to shop 100ft away from router- Can I add a second Orbi router or a satellite or ??

Hello,

I have a shop approximately 100 feet from where my home where my internet Modem is connected. I'm digging a trench to run Cat5 or Cat6 inside pvc pipe for protection from elements and animals. My internet installer/contractor said I could run a second router off my first router in my home using my Cat5/6 cable. My question(s) is... Can you connect one Orbi router to another Orbi router for two networks? If not, could I just connect an orbi satellite to said cable in the shop or does it still need to be within a certain distance of the Orbi router? I wanted to use an Orbi or Nighthawk mesh router as the first router connected to the modem so that my home would have solid internet throughout the house. The house is only a single level of 2000 sq ft. Maybe just two compatbile/connectable Nighthawk routers that cover a each building adquaetly is best.?  Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cat5or6 cable to shop 100ft away from router- Can I add a second Orbi router or a satellite or ?

Sound  like a good plan. Some thoughts:

• I would look for "Direct Burial" ethernet cable to go in the conduit. Even when conduit is glued carefully, it can still leak over time.
  • Would not purchase different cable for the two runs, unless you do not plan to terminate the cables yourself onto wall jacks.
  • My guess is that there does not need to be another Orbi satellite inside the shop.  An inexpensive gigabit switch connected with an ethernet cable will do the job.
  • Or... there is no need to connect that second satellite in the shop with ethernet.  The WiFi connection will work just fine for security camera traffic.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cat5or6 cable to shop 100ft away from router- Can I add a second Orbi router or a satellite or ?

@Kavorka wrote:

Can you connect one Orbi router to another Orbi router for two networks? If not, could I just connect an orbi satellite to said cable in the shop or does it still need to be within a certain distance of the Orbi router?

Yes, if properly installed and terminiated, ethernet cable will support connecting two devices up to a distance of about 300'. Your distance is well within specifications.  The cost difference between Cat5e and Cat6 is not much compared to the cost of trenching/conduit/labor.  I would go with Cat6.

It is not clear from the post whether there is already an Orbi router in the house.  If there is, then placing an Orbi satellite in the shop will allow devices to roam seamlessly between the two locations.  Otherwise, the question boils down to:

• Cost. Two routers, with the remote unit placed in Access Point (AP) mode are likely to cost less than an Orbi package of router & satellite.  At a distance of 100ft. devices which roam between the house and shop are likely to disconnect from one unit before reconnecting to the other, although this could be a problem if some devices persist in holding a poor connection to one end when you would rather they switch.
  • Seamless roaming and expansion. Installing an Orbi router and satellite creates a seamless mesh where devices will roam between buildings and it is possible to expand the total coverage area by adding more satellites.

Placing this cable is "the way to go."

Message 2 of 12
Kavorka
Aspirant

Thank you very much. Smiley Happy Grateful!!

Few things if you don't mind... we have a bit of a gopher problem; as well as rabbits and other creatures. I think you're implying I could just lay Cat6 above ground if I didn't mind the wire? Cat6 is that durable? We do get very cold hear and very hot. I was going to dig just a 3 to 6 inch trench using a rented manchine to protect the wire a bit from elements, and the pvc/pipe was for rodents.

I don't have an Orbi yet. So, even though the satellite is too far away from the router, the satellite will act like "an interent broadcaster/extender" for the vicinity of the satellite, correct? Can a device, such as a single security camera that needs to upload to the cloud, be connected to the satellite via ethernet? I understand what you're saying about two seperate routers possible bumping a phone to and fro. My bluetooth headphones sometimes keep connecting and disconnecting from my computer as I walk around the property. Aggravating.

Access Point... I'll look that up. I was seeing with two routers I might have to figure/configure out DHCP(?) or something.

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kavorka wrote:

Few things if you don't mind... we have a bit of a gopher problem; as well as rabbits and other creatures. I think you're implying I could just lay Cat6 above ground if I didn't mind the wire? Cat6 is that durable?

Definitely not loose wire lying on the ground. Even "outdoor rated" ethernet cable is not that durable.  In conduit for certain.  And, ask the installer what kind of "sweeps" he plans to use to facilitate pulling the cable. The longer the bend, the better:

https://www.comstarsupply.com/innerduct-and-conduit/pvc-conduit-and-bends/schedule-40-long-radius-sw... 

@Kavorka wrote:

Can a device, such as a single security camera that needs to upload to the cloud, be connected to the satellite via ethernet? .

Absolutely. I do it myself, although to be totally clear, my IP security cameras are Power over Ethernet (PoE), so I have a PoE switch connected to an ethernet port on the satellite and the cameras are connected to the switch.  With a single camera, I would have used a single PoE injector.  (Cameras are like rabbits. They multiply. Wish now I had bought a switch with 8 PoE ports.)

The original Orbi platform is now nearly six years old. Great performance as long as the need is only 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4G and 5G WiFi). You may be in the same situation as I am, having zero devices that can take advantage of WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E. Since there is nothing wrong with my Orbi, I plan to keep it at least another 2-3 years.  There are so many good WiFi routers on the market right now that you can buy almost any brand.  I would look for a seller with an excellent return policy in case what you purchase falls short somehow.

The router in the house should provide DHCP for the entire network, with the unit in the shop simply being an extension.

Message 4 of 12
Kavorka
Aspirant

Oh wow. That "sweeps" info is something I never would have known about. I planned on doing it myself with the help of a contractor friend. Fortunately, I had the cable guy place the home router in a corner of my house that is a straight shot to the shop so I won't have too many bends. Thanks for the info and link.

As far as the camera... the security/alarm company said the one camera or system for the one camera that needs to upload to the cloud needed direct connect; said wireless wouldn't work. They made it sound easy. I think either an Orbi or two routers will work.

Based on your information and some other info, I think I'm going to go with two routers. I think a strong second router in the shop will put out a stronger, distance wise, signal throughout the shop then a single Orbi satellite. I just need to get two that are compatible and figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A would be best if you can bury it for the distance. 

Message 6 of 12
Kavorka
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help. If you don't mind and just so I'm certain before I buy, I'd like to run this by you.

I think I'm going to buy an Orbi with 3 Satellites. My internet connection/modem from the broadband company is now setup in the corner of my house closest to the shop. I'm going to set up my Orbi router at that location. From there, I'm going to have one satelite connected wirelessly toward the center of my home and away from the shop for internet access inside the house. It's about 87ft from my house corner to the closest shop wall. I'm going to bury 125ft of Cat6A in conduit to direct connect my Orbi router to an Orbi satellite just inside my shop. I'm then going to run a 50 ft Cat5 wire, though maybe only 30ft in actual distance, from the Orbi satellite inside the shop to another Orbi satelitte in the middle of the shop next to my security camera/device. The security company says the one camera that views the digital recorder that needs to go to the cloud needs direct connect. So, they'll just connect to that second Orbi satellte in the middle of the shop. Does this sound plausible or is there a problem I'm missing? I thought about what you said about two networks and connecting/disconnecting issues. Even with my four year old Costco bought Netgear router in the cormer of the house, my phone sometimes get one bar, though no real download connection, in the shop. I think two seperate nettworks is going to cause me headaches. Plus, it may create seamless internet between the shop and the house outside which would be nice.

I know I don't have a lot posts or much to offer to this community, but I thank you for your time. Maybe my question and your help with help others. Kind regards.

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Sound  like a good plan. Some thoughts:

• I would look for "Direct Burial" ethernet cable to go in the conduit. Even when conduit is glued carefully, it can still leak over time.
  • Would not purchase different cable for the two runs, unless you do not plan to terminate the cables yourself onto wall jacks.
  • My guess is that there does not need to be another Orbi satellite inside the shop.  An inexpensive gigabit switch connected with an ethernet cable will do the job.
  • Or... there is no need to connect that second satellite in the shop with ethernet.  The WiFi connection will work just fine for security camera traffic.
Message 8 of 12
Kavorka
Aspirant

Thank you!!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out...

Message 10 of 12
Kavorka
Aspirant

I will. It seems from the reviews of the cables on Amazon that it's a crap shoot. One person gets a certain cable and it works flawlessly. Several others get the same cable from the same company, complete dud.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend cables from either monoprice or deepsurplus. Been using deepsurplus for years. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7