Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CenturyLink + Orbi Intermittent Loss of Internet Access over Wireless

cwjones
Aspirant

CenturyLink + Orbi Intermittent Loss of Internet Access over Wireless

I've been dealing with this issue now for what seems like a year.  I've abandonded the system and then returned to it, and have replaced my Modem/Router and yet it still continues and my family is threatening to kick me out of the house.

Modem/Router: Actiontec C1900A (firmware updated)

AP: Orbi RBR50 + 2 Satellites (firmware updated)

I have my Orbi set up as an AP, and for the most part, everything looks to be fine, but on most all devices in the home (iPhone, Windows Laptops, etc.), at some point during the day, they'll report that the network has no Internet access.  While I've done everything from disconnect/reconnect, reboot modem, reboot Orbi, etc., it seems it comes down to the fact that just as randomly as it seems to be disconnected from the Internet, it seems to then reconnect.

I can't help but wonder if there's some problem with IP conflicts, IP expirations, or something that over time gets re-assigned and thus fixes things.  What I don't know is how to a) investigate and most importantly, b) FIX IT!!!

Help same my family relationship???

Message 1 of 3
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: CenturyLink + Orbi Intermittent Loss of Internet Access over Wireless

@cwjones wrote:

I've been dealing with this issue now for what seems like a year.  I've abandonded the system and then returned to it, and have replaced my Modem/Router and yet it still continues and my family is threatening to kick me out of the house.

Modem/Router: Actiontec C1900A (firmware updated)

AP: Orbi RBR50 + 2 Satellites (firmware updated)

I have my Orbi set up as an AP, and for the most part, everything looks to be fine, but on most all devices in the home (iPhone, Windows Laptops, etc.), at some point during the day, they'll report that the network has no Internet access...

Verify that you've already disabled wireless radio on Actiontec.  Disconnect all the wired clients from the Orbi router + Satellites for the time being.  Disable Daisy-Chain feature, and power cycles Orbi/Satellites.

Verify that Orbi yellow WAN port is connected to Actiontec LAN port.

Once the Orbi is back up and running, verify backhaul signal status to make sure it's within dBm range, between -30dBm and -70dBm, by pointing your browser at http://orbilogin.com/online_upgrade_info.html.

Move the Orbi and Satellite closer to each other to get better dBm signals if need be.  Then start monitoring wireless clients.  If all is well, start adding wired clients back to Orbi network, one at a time.  If Orbi network starts dropping wireless clients again, remove that newly added wired client from the network.  Rinse and repeat.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: CenturyLink + Orbi Intermittent Loss of Internet Access over Wireless

...and here is an example of my wireless settings, which works well for my AP setup.  You can give the same wireless settings a try if you want to.

v2.5.1.8 Wireless Settings.pngStatic IP AP Mode.png

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7