Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Certain devices losing internet connection while others completely unaffected. RB50

TomMapp
Follower

Certain devices losing internet connection while others completely unaffected. RB50

Hi All,

I recently purchased an Orbi RBR50 system to replace my old router which struggled to give full connectivitiy around the house. There was a few teething issues at the start, mainly between devices struggled to be switched between the 2.4g and 5g networks automatically. 

To solve this I went through the router with telnet, and created two seperate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5g networks respectively. This worked well until about 2 weeks ago, where my iMac and phone started to lose internet connection while being still connected to the network. For the iMac, the connection loses it identification and won't obtain internet access until its disconnected and reconnected manually. For the phone, the wifi network must be 'forgotten' and then connected too again, however, as soon as the phone goes to sleep, it loses the connection. 

Has anyone got any ideas for how to solve this? 90% of the devices work perfectly, but these two are obvious quite annoying.

Cheers

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Certain devices losing internet connection while others completely unaffected. RB50

What modem are you using? 

I've seen issues with macs whenever there's a send router in the line causing a double nat. many isp's provide modem/router combo devices and unless they're properly setup, they cause quite a few issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

What firmware are you on?

I know that the splitting 2.4ghz and 5ghz was available for a while through telenet but was eventually disabled through firmware updates. If you did this option and then it was disabled through the firmware updates, maybe something is corrupt after the update. Have you tried reinstalling the firmware manually, factory resetting, and then going through a manual reinstall?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Certain devices losing internet connection while others completely unaffected. RB50

All of my Apple devices work well with my RBK50. V40 FW loaded and factory reset and setup from scratch. SSID is never separated. Separated SSID is not supported on orbi and maybe a cuase of your problems.

Manual channels 1 and 48

IPv6 disabled on the RBR and 40mhz coexistence set. Beamforming and WMM enabled aswell.

What version of FW is currently loaded on the system? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@TomMapp wrote:

Hi All,

I recently purchased an Orbi RBR50 system to replace my old router which struggled to give full connectivitiy around the house. There was a few teething issues at the start, mainly between devices struggled to be switched between the 2.4g and 5g networks automatically. 

To solve this I went through the router with telnet, and created two seperate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5g networks respectively. This worked well until about 2 weeks ago, where my iMac and phone started to lose internet connection while being still connected to the network. For the iMac, the connection loses it identification and won't obtain internet access until its disconnected and reconnected manually. For the phone, the wifi network must be 'forgotten' and then connected too again, however, as soon as the phone goes to sleep, it loses the connection. 

Has anyone got any ideas for how to solve this? 90% of the devices work perfectly, but these two are obvious quite annoying.

Cheers

@TomMapp wrote:

Hi All,

Cheers

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7