Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Change account email address

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for months to change my email address both in this forum and for my Netgear.com account. It's impossible! Things change...and people change their email addresses. Why doesn't Netgear accommodate this? Seriously, it's enough to make me choose a different brand product. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Change account email address

You're correct, @michaelkenward, it went nowhere with you! As soon as @Blanca_O intervened and escalated my question, it was solved immediately.

Also, I do not appreciate you saying I didn't provide information that I did provide...and my original forum post proves it. I stated I had the same problem as you're thanking another user for providing information about...but you said I didn't provide this information. You obviously can't read!

A company a large as Netgear should think twice about giving someone like you, who deprecates forum members verbally, a voice in their support forum. In fact, I have made a copy of EVERYTHING in this thread and I will forward it to as many people in Netgear via as many means as possible so they can be aware of how you (personally) treat members.

I sincerely hope I never have another problem with one of my Netgear products so I don't have to return here.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

I am here to help. What is the error message when you attempt to change the email address? Please PM me your name, device serial number, current email and preferred email address. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

There is no error message. My old email address is hardwired and can’t be changed. Everything else in my profile I can edit, but not my email address.
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted

Sadly, Netgear provides a proliferation of "accounts".

What are you doing and where?

What is your "Netgear.com" account?

Do you mean mynetgear?

https://my.netgear.com/

If so, the My Profile page has a link:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/ChangeEmail.aspx

Nothing there?

@Retired_Member wrote:

Seriously, it's enough to make me choose a different brand product. Thanks for any help.

You have a low threshold.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're correct,  I do have a low threshold, especially when I'm asked questions to which I've already provided answers. From my original post..."in this forum and for my Netgear.com account". That means HERE in THIS FORUM, where we're both posting, I can not change the email account associated with my NETGEAR Community account. It will not let me change it.  And "my Netgear.com account"...that would be at netgear.com, click on "sign in" and the email account associated with that account can't be changed.

I'm not trying to be facetious, but I'm a little upset there is NO ONE in all of Netgear with whom you can speak. No phone numbers, no direct company support...everything is here in the forum or you don't get support. I appreciate the volunteers here, but I gave all the information in my first post and now two people have replied and I still don't have the answer to my simple question of how do I change my email address. I'm sorry I had to change email addresses...but stuff happens.

If there is anything else you need, I'll try and provide it. Thanks.

Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

...one thing I forgot...when I go to the link you provided to change my email and attempt to change it, it says "email address already in use". That is absolutely impossible since I'm trying to change my email to my iCloud email address that I've had for 20 years...no one else has it.

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted

@Retired_Member wrote:

...especially when I'm asked questions to which I've already provided answers. From my original post..."in this forum and for my Netgear.com account". That means HERE in THIS FORUM, where we're both posting, I can not change the email account associated with my NETGEAR Community account. It will not let me change it.  

As I have explained, your original message did not clarify the site you were trying to control.

This place is https://community.netgear.com/

www.mynetgear.com is another one.

There are also associated sites that we need not go into.

Anyone who has signed up in recent months will find that they are invited, if not forced, to use the www.mynetgear.com credentials to get into this community. That is why I pointed you in that direction.

People do nto ask questions here just for the heck of it. They do so because they have experience of how things work.

If you don't want to play ball, fine. But there is no reason to get shirty with people who are trying to help you.

This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please pardon my frustration, but after trying, unsuccessfully, for several weeks just to change my email address, I'm sure I was short-fused, and I apologize. But that said...I would have thought my original post stating "this forum" couldn't mean anything else other than "this forum"...the one I'm currently posting in. And "my account at netgear.com" is the only thing I see on netgear.com where I have an account.

I'll be more specific and try this again. 

1. When I go to my personal information in my account settings at community.netgear.com (this forum), I can not change my email address. My old email address is hardwired and simply not changeable. When I log into this forum I do so with my email as my username...I'd like to change that to the new email address I'm using now and in the future. Also, if I get forum post notifications they need to go to the new email address because I won't be checking email at the old address

2. When I go to Netgear.com and sign into my account there, I see the link you previously sent, but when I click on that link I'm asked me to put in my new email address, then confirm it, and put in my password. I do this and it says "this email address is already in use." It's not (at least not that I know of). I've had my current email address, the one I'm trying to change FROM, for 15 years. The address I'm trying to change TO is my iCloud.com address I've had since when Apple first started iCloud. No one else is using this email address, but yet I can't change to it. Regarding this email address, this is where Netgear send marketing info, etc., and I'm fine with that...except I'd like to receive at my correct email, no my old one that I won't be checking anymore.

Hopefully, this helps explain the two problems. 

Message 8 of 15
Highlighted

OK, you clearly don't understand/believe what I have said about netgear.com. (If you go to netgear.com and look at the "sign in" icon at the top you will see that it directs you to mynetgear.) So let's try something else that starts from this bit:

@Retired_Member wrote:

,,,,but when I click on that link I'm asked me to put in my new email address, then confirm it, and put in my password. I do this and it says "this email address is already in use." It's not (at least not that I know of). I've had my current email address, the one I'm trying to change FROM, for 15 years. The address I'm trying to change TO is my iCloud.com address I've had since when Apple first started iCloud.

Try to login to mynetgear.com with the email address that you want to use, but go for the "forgotten password" option.

If that address really is registered – perhaps you have forgotten that you did it – then it may allow you to recover the use of that email address.

Perhaps you have done this already. It isn't obvious from your messages.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's not true...I have read every word you've posted, and I fully understand. Doing the password reset did give me access to the account with the new email address but it did not solve the problem.

My existing account has the username of larry.mcjunkin@gmail.com and it has my Orbi Router and Netgear modem both registered. My original intent was simply to change the email for that account to larrymcjunkin@icloud.com.

So now I have access to the account that uses larrymcjunkin@icloud.com but there are no products associated with that account. I try to add my existing two products and it won't let me...says they're already registered. Of course they are, to the account with the wrong email address.

All I want to do is have MyNetgear account reflect the two Netgear products I own and have that account associated with my correct email address. Hopefully, you can see that I'm not being dense here, but Netgear isn't making it very easy. When I changed my email address I changed it in precisely 107 online places...they were all perfectly simple, but this one is far from easy. Thanks.

Message 10 of 15
Highlighted

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have read every word you've posted, and I fully understand.

You could have fooled me.

@Retired_Member wrote:

All I want to do is have MyNetgear account reflect the two Netgear products I own and have that account associated with my correct email address. Hopefully, you can see that I'm not being dense here, but Netgear isn't making it very easy. When I changed my email address I changed it in precisely 107 online places...they were all perfectly simple, but this one is far from easy. Thanks.

OK. We are finally getting somewhere.

We now that we know what you really wanted to do – link our products to the account that you use on MyNetgear/this community – I have a definitive answer.

In the past, you could have used the system to "deregister" the products from your old account and then add them to the new one.

Sadly, someone at Netgear decided to break that system.

So the only way out now is to ask one of the Netgear moderators to step in.

@Christian_R, @ChristineT or @DexterJB maybe able to help.

It probably won't go down well with you, but my advice is not to come across like an aggrieved tosser, and simply to stick to the task in hand. Treat people with respect and they will respond accordingly.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

With all due respect, I have apologized but in every ensuing post you find it necessary to continue criticizing me. I do hope you’ll get over it eventually.

And even though I’ve now politely asked three times, you haven’t answered my other question. How do I change my email name associated with my account on this forum (community.netgear.com)? Thanks.
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hopefully someone can help me. I’ve had Orbi 1 & 1/2 years & loved it up until I have spent last several days trying to unlink old email that is associated w/cable provider. I want to get rid of cable, but cannot because I cannot unlink that email from mynetgear account. I tried using my iCloud email but I cannot register my products because get message that they are already registered- they are. I cannot find a person at NG to speak to who could possibly help me. Does anyone in this forum know what I am missing? It cannot be this difficult to change email addresses. Thank you Sue
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted

@Buckeye_Girl wrote:
Hopefully someone can help me.

Have you been through everything suggested in this discussion?

At least you have explained why you want to change your email address at the outset. Thanks for that. It always helps to know what people are trying to achieve.

If you want Netgear to step in, you would do better to start your own discussion rather than tagging on to the end of one that really went nowhere.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're correct, @michaelkenward, it went nowhere with you! As soon as @Blanca_O intervened and escalated my question, it was solved immediately.

Also, I do not appreciate you saying I didn't provide information that I did provide...and my original forum post proves it. I stated I had the same problem as you're thanking another user for providing information about...but you said I didn't provide this information. You obviously can't read!

A company a large as Netgear should think twice about giving someone like you, who deprecates forum members verbally, a voice in their support forum. In fact, I have made a copy of EVERYTHING in this thread and I will forward it to as many people in Netgear via as many means as possible so they can be aware of how you (personally) treat members.

I sincerely hope I never have another problem with one of my Netgear products so I don't have to return here.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements