Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change in Sending Log Files

CrimpOn
Guru

Change in Sending Log Files

Just noticed another change in the way Orbi handles log files.  In the past, when a log filled, the Orbi would email it out, clear the log file, and start over.  Now, the Orbi sends the log file every day at midnight and does not clear the log. What was once a continuous record has become multiple duplicates as the same DHCP entries get mailed day after day.

Does anyone know of a way to restore the previous behavior?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 26
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @CrimpOn - Thank you for reaching out. Have you made any recent changes? What FW version are you on? 

~Christian 

Message 3 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Just noticed another change in the way Orbi handles log files.  In the past, when a log filled, the Orbi would email it out, clear the log file, and start over.  Now, the Orbi sends the log file every day at midnight and does not clear the log. What was once a continuous record has become multiple duplicates as the same DHCP entries get mailed day after day.

Does anyone know of a way to restore the previous behavior?

You can select how the logs be sent to you. Under >>Advanced >> Security >> E-Mail , you can select if the logs should be sent to you when full or daily, weekly, ... at a specific time. See attached snapshot:

Skärmavbild 2018-11-01 kl. 18.56.56.png

Message 4 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the tip.  I looked at Advanced->Security->EMail, and this is what it shows:

Snip1.JPG

i.e. That's what I set it to months ago, and it's still set that way.  Only the behavior has changed. My firmware is V2.2.1.210

I will set it to something else, and then set it back.  Will be interesting to see tomorrow morning if I get an email (or not).

Message 5 of 26
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@CrimpOn - Thank you for getting back. Please let us know the outcome and if you require further assistance. I can see if we can get support to contact you. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Same behavior.  Got log file this morning just after midnight.  Sending when "not full" does not clear the log, so most of what I got duplicates the file I got yesterday.

My next step it to restart the router and see if that somehow "clears something."

Message 7 of 26
larryindublin
Luminary

I have seen the same thing. Haven't tried doing a full reset yet though. Also on the latest official firmware.

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Just thought I'd mention.......  I understand completely that "reset to factory and configure from scratch" is the solution of (next to last) resort.  Some bit in there is corrupted and tinkering with settings simply never clears it.  However, that's a lot like the advice to "wipe your hard drive, reinstall Windows from CD, reinstall all your apps, reconfigure everything....." and see if that helped.  i.e. resetting to factory involves a considerable effort.  (inputting IP reservations, setting device names, setting up log email, etc. etc. etc.)  If my Orbi "didn't work", I would be all over this. Mine works. It updates firmware automatically.  Performance is great.  I just think the log file handling is messed up.  I checked ALL the boxes, but the log shows only DHCP assignments.  I asked to send the log "when full", but it sends every day.

p.s. "Last resort" seems to be to manually downgrade to earlier firmware and jump through hoops to keep the Orbi from updating itself.  No chance of that by me!

Message 10 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, gone completely wack-o now.  This morning I thought, "hey, did I miss getting my daily log file?"  In Advanced->Admin->Logs, this is what I see:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Monday, November 05, 2018 10:23:37
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, November 03, 2018 10:35:58
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 18:47:58
[admin login failure] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 10:37:21
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, November 02, 2018 10:35:56
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 10:34:54
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.2.1.210] Friday, November 02, 2018 10:34:38

i.e. Between Friday and Monday, the ONLY thing logged was NTP sync and admin logins.  NO DHCP leases.  Nothing!  I guess it's a good thing that it no longer sends a log every midnight, but this is just weird.  All the possible boxes remain checked:

Snip2.JPG

Message 11 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Well, gone completely wack-o now.  This morning I thought, "hey, did I miss getting my daily log file?"  In Advanced->Admin->Logs, this is what I see:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Monday, November 05, 2018 10:23:37
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, November 03, 2018 10:35:58
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 18:47:58
[admin login failure] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 10:37:21
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, November 02, 2018 10:35:56
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, November 02, 2018 10:34:54
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.2.1.210] Friday, November 02, 2018 10:34:38

i.e. Between Friday and Monday, the ONLY thing logged was NTP sync and admin logins.  NO DHCP leases.  Nothing!  I guess it's a good thing that it no longer sends a log every midnight, but this is just weird.  All the possible boxes remain checked:

This happened also to me, all my DHCP messages suddenly disappeared from the Logs and I could only see -as you mentioned- the NTP syncs, admin logins and also DoS attempts. Then I did a factory rest and started to see DHCP messages, NTP syncs, admin logins, but the DoS attempts disappeared 🙂

This -for sure- is a bug in the SW that I really hope that NG will have a look at and fix soon.

Message 12 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, Orbi logs certainly are interesting.  I rebooted the Orbi on Nov 8 and it's back to more "normal" behavior.  Only sends a log when full. Log includes DHCP assignments and Network Time.  Intrusion, etc. still missing.  I guess the oldest advice is still valid, "when in doubt, reboot."

By-the-way, I can understand why it is probably pointless to log intrusion attempts. (1) there easily can be hundreds every day, causing the log to fill and be sent more often than people would enjoy. (2) Since the attempts have been logged, one assumes that they have also been repelled.  So, "why would anyone care?"  I simply think (a) they were there before, why change? and (b) why not give users the option to see or not see?

Message 13 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, I was incorrect.  Now, even though the box clearly says to send the log "when full", I get a copy of the log once a day at about the same time, and the log is never cleared.  i.e. each day has the DHCP, NTP, "sent email to" etc. and repeats the remainder of the log to the end.

I'm looking for a time when I have an hour that no one is using the Internet and I can reset to factory and reconfigure everything.

Hmmmm.  Has anyone tried saving and restoring the configuration instead of entering everything from scratch?

Message 14 of 26
schumaku
Guru

The effects of a factory reset are pretty much obsolete if restoring a suspect borked configuration again....

Message 15 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Well, I was incorrect.  Now, even though the box clearly says to send the log "when full", I get a copy of the log once a day at about the same time, and the log is never cleared.  i.e. each day has the DHCP, NTP, "sent email to" etc. and repeats the remainder of the log to the end.

I have it even worse! I get the same log daily. Since 6/Nov, I'm getting the same events sent to me daily. During the day I see all new events in th log, but when the log is full it gets cleared and I get an email with the same events that happened on 6/Nov!

I don't think -for me- it's a big enough issue to justify a factory reset with all the related hassle. 🙂

Message 16 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

I have it even worse! I get the same log daily. Since 6/Nov, I'm getting the same events sent to me daily. During the day I see all new events in th log, but when the log is full it gets cleared and I get an email with the same events that happened on 6/Nov!

I don't think -for me- it's a big enough issue to justify a factory reset with all the related hassle. 🙂

This issue of getting the same log events from 6/Nov every day was solved as follows:

1. Yesterday, I opened the Logs page and clicked on Apply. By doing so I got to see the displayd logs changed to those of 6/Nov.

2. I clicked on Clear Log so all logs got cleared, then clicked on Apply again and the Logs stayed cleared.

3. Today I got the logs sent to me only when the log was full.

So it seems that log's emailing is working fine again now for me.

Message 17 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the tip.  I am trying that.  Will know in a couple of days.  With my (relatively) small number of devices, the log should not fill with DHCP assignments for several days.

Message 18 of 26
ekhalil
Master

Second day and sending the logs is still working. I got the correct log emailed to me when the log was full as expected. 🙂

Message 19 of 26
ekhalil
Master

The Logs worked for few days and now seeing the same issue again, getting logs of a specific day every day. I'm now getting the same logs from 20/Nov every day.

To resolve this issue, I needed to do the following:

1. In the Logs page, clicked on Apply. By doing so I got to see the logs that have been sent to me the last 2 days (logs from 20/Nov).

2. Now I clicked on Clear Log so all logs got cleared, then clicked on Apply again and the Logs stayed cleared.

Seems that this will get the logs to be emailed correctly (when log is full) for couple of days before I need to do the same procedure again.

I hope that Netgear can have a look at this "small" issue and fix it soon.

Message 20 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

My experience matches yours.  Log file management is programmed incorrectly.

After clearing the log as you did, I received my first log file 11/22 @ 22:13pm with DHCP entries for Nov 19, 20, 21, 22. (I do not have many devices, so it took a while for the log to fill.)  This morning at 11:13 I got a log file with only 29 new entries (28 DHCP plus one "log file sent" message.)

Following the new entries was the rest of the previous file except for the last six lines!  So, it's full and gets sent.  Then, it adds 29 more lines and needs to be sent again, but only six lines have dropped off the bottom.  (sigh) One would think that something like log file maintenance was debugged years ago and just gets copied into each new product firmware.  This, in fact, may be the case and there is nothing wrong with the log file software, but there is a "new bug" in the code that randomly affects pointers.  Today it might affect the log file.  It might occasionally hit some other table management feature, like device reservations, or some of the things people rail about.  With each customer having a different setup, the effect on each customer might be different as well.

Do you think anyone from Netgear follows user forums, or are we talking only to ourselves?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 21 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

........  This, in fact, may be the case and there is nothing wrong with the log file software, but there is a "new bug" in the code that randomly affects pointers.  Today it might affect the log file.  It might occasionally hit some other table management feature, like device reservations, or some of the things people rail about.  With each customer having a different setup, the effect on each customer might be different as well.

You can be right, and this is really serious if this is the case..

Message 22 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Having the same identical issues with logging since upgrade to v2.2.1.210 from v2.1.4.16. Factory Reset made no difference.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 23 of 26
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CrimpOn

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 24 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

The fun never stops!

I went into the Debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and set the Orbi to collect a debug log.  Turned it off/on and generated a log file.  Downloaded the log file to my PC, unchecked the box, turned Orbi off/on.

Thought it would take a few days for the log file to fill up enough to send, but after many days I checked.  NOW, the Orbi log contains ONLY admin logins and time sync.  Will take FOREVER to fill up, and when I get one there will be little worth viewing.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7