Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change to 2.4ghz

rahuldba
Aspirant

Change to 2.4ghz

My question is how do i change the wifi setting to 2.4GHZ.
Right now it is 5 GHz.
Reason for change - my security system needs that way.
I use ORBI RBR40.
Firmware version - 2.3.5.30.
Appreciate if someone can help with step by step process to change.
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Change to 2.4ghz

The Orbi creates two WiFi networks, one at 2.4G and one at 5G.  Both of them have the same WiFi name (SSID) and password.  Since the security system operates only at 2.4G, it will detect the Orbi 2.4G network and connect.  Not having a 5G radio, the security system will be totally unaware of the 5G network, just like it is totally unaware of AM radio, television channels, amateur ratios, cordless phones, etc.

As long as the security system has some method for selecting which WiFi network to join and a way to input the password, nothing needs to be done to the Orbi.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Change to 2.4ghz

All true, but the only fly in the ointment is that some devices depend on using a mobile phone to set them up.

In that case, the phone can connect to the 5 GHz wifi and the whole thing get horribly confusing.

That is why we see occasional messages here from people who want to disable their Orbi's 5 GHz wifi so that they can set up devices.

The problem is that that too many makers of IoT kit employ crappy setup regimes.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7