Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changed SSID on my router, but the satellite still shows the old SSID

Bindlestick
Aspirant

Changed SSID on my router, but the satellite still shows the old SSID

Hi everyone,

I tried to change the SSID on my router and satellite last night, but it only half worked. The router is broadcasting the correct new SSID but the satellite is not. I've rebooted both units, but the satellite is not updating. I can connect my test device (iphone) to either 'test' or 'live' SSID and they both work.

• Router and Satellite are both using firmware V2.5.1.16 
  • Wired backhaul
  • AP mode behind my FIOS router
  • Fully installed and configured with a 'test' SSID, then changed to match my house wifi ssid and psk (so I could disable wifi on my other APs)

I've noticed a few peculiarities as well:

• My desktop is physically plugged into the satellite, but cannot connect via https://routerlogin.net or orbilogin.net so I need to connect to each directly by internal IP address. 
  • My phone has to manage via Remote Management as well.

The steps I took last night IIRC:

1. I logged in to the router directly by IP and reconfigured the SSID and PSK.
    1. I can still see the old SSID. Rebooted the router.
    2. That didn't work, so I rebooted the satellite.
  2. Logged in to the satellite which appears to be readonly; I cannot modify wifi settings in the UI.
    1. Rebooted the satellite. Still shows the old SSID.
    2. Went to bed.

Any advice? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Changed SSID on my router, but the satellite still shows the old SSID

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 12
Bindlestick
Aspirant

No, but I did perform a factory reset directly before updating the firmware. I originally configured the router before powering on the satellite and then read that both should be on at the same time.

So I reset to defaults and started the base installation, which worked perfectly. Firmware was updated from 2.3.x.x as part of the installation process.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres more recent version of FW availalbe as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

I would update the RBS then the RBR, then factory reset and setup from scratch. Use the setup wizard to walk thru the setup and add the RBS. It should connect and sync up. 

Message 4 of 12
Bindlestick
Aspirant

2.5.1.16 is the firmware I already have. The units don't detect a new one when I check for updates.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The system may not see this version as it's a minor FW update. So you can manually download FW files and apply them manually your self. RBS should be updated first then RBR lastly. RBS and RBR should be on same version of FW. 

Message 6 of 12
Bindlestick
Aspirant

As I said, that's the firmware I already have. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch. Use the setup wizard to walk thru the setup and add the RBS. It should connect and sync up. I would do this with the RBS in the same room as the RBR. 6-10feet distance. 

Message 8 of 12
Bindlestick
Aspirant

Any options other than another factory reset? 

Message 9 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Login to the web UI of the satellite and manually update its firmware, then sync the satellite to the routers.  You should not need to factory reset the router unless it still does not work after updating and syncing the satellites.

Message 10 of 12
Bindlestick
Aspirant

As I said several times, I already have that firmware. Thanks for the help though. I guess I have to do a factory reset and hope it works.

Can't say that I'm impressed by the quality of the firmware with these things. Real house of cards.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes after the reset. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7