Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing ISP - Will my existing Orbi RBK22 system still work?

TV_Actor
Aspirant

Changing ISP - Will my existing Orbi RBK22 system still work?

I'm moving from L.A. to Colorado in a few months.  Currently, my internet is supplied by Spectrum over a high-speed cable.  My new internet provider will be a satellite ISP.  I'm NOT the most tech-savvy person around, but I'm assuming that since I have to return my Spectrum modem when I leave, I'll need a new modem that I can plug my Orbi router into at the new house. Any particular features or recommendations in a new modem I need to be aware of?

When I get to Colorado, will I be able to just plug my Orbi router into the modem, then set up the Orbi Satellite, and be good to go?  Will the network name that I have now (Orbi43, the default name that came with the router) be the same at the new house?  Will there be IP address or re-configuration issues that I'll need to deal with?  Will I have to re-configure all the devices in my new home that use WiFi, even though I'm bringing all the same ones that were in my old house?

I've tried Googling all of this but nothing I've found seems to address my situation.

Thanks,

Steve

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Changing ISP - Will my existing Orbi RBK22 system still work?

Since you’re using the default SSID I assume that your Orbi is in Router Mode. 

Please ask your new ISP to provide you with a “plain” modem without a  built-in router. 

You should then be able to just plug in Orbi to the new modem and then you will be good to go. 

You will keep all your existing configuration: wifi network name, password, IP addresses,.... etc. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Since you’re using the default SSID I assume that your Orbi is in Router Mode. 

Please ask your new ISP to provide you with a “plain” modem without a  built-in router. 

You should then be able to just plug in Orbi to the new modem and then you will be good to go. 

You will keep all your existing configuration: wifi network name, password, IP addresses,.... etc. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
TV_Actor
Aspirant

Sorry, ekhalil, I have no idea what a default SSID is.  My orby router and satellite are in the mode they came in right out of the box, whatever that was. I simply plugged the router into the modem, set up my satellite downstairs and let them all do their thing and connect. 

I think you're right, though...just need the new ISP to give me a plain modem with no built-in router, which is what my current modem supplied by Spectrum is.

Do I have that right?

Steve

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

SSID names are the wifi plain text names that you can setup on any router to identify the wifi broadcast coming from your router. In the Orbis case, it would be a single name that you can set up for the broadcast name. It's recommended to change the default SSID name from what comes ON the Orbi to something custom and unique. It can be anything, make it something you like, something fun or easy to identify on your wireless devices. 

Message 4 of 5
TV_Actor
Aspirant

Thank you, Sensei...very much appreciated!

Steve

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7