Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing from Router to AP modes, Second Satelitte

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Changing from Router to AP modes, Second Satelitte

I am thinking about changing to AP mode so I can go to the same setup as I had when I had the Nighthawk R8000. And just let my Fibre Router do the work rather than going through 2 routers.

How do the satelittes work in AP mode? do they still have the WIFI backhaul? or do I need to set up each Satelitte as an AP? Does ethernet backhaul work better in AP mode?

If I stay in Router Mode and I get a second Satelitte (say RBW30 or RBS40) if this is in the middle between my RBR50 and RBS50 will I still get full strength to the RBS50? or will it be best to have the extra satelittle on the end?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

I am thinking about changing to AP mode so I can go to the same setup as I had when I had the Nighthawk R8000. And just let my Fibre Router do the work rather than going through 2 routers.

How do the satelittes work in AP mode? do they still have the WIFI backhaul? or do I need to set up each Satelitte as an AP? Does ethernet backhaul work better in AP mode?

If I stay in Router Mode and I get a second Satelitte (say RBW30 or RBS40) if this is in the middle between my RBR50 and RBS50 will I still get full strength to the RBS50? or will it be best to have the extra satelittle on the end?

The satellite behavior doesn't change when in AP or Router mode. Only the behavior of the router changes when in AP mode. Items like DHCP services, access control, traffic monitoring and such are disabled in AP mode.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 6
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thanks FURRYe38

I might look at going for option 2/3 

If my phone line was not a VOIP line that is router specific (or if I drop my phone line) I might just use the RBR50 as the router directly to my Fibre ONT.

Thanks again

Aaron

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Is there any benefit to switching to AP mode, over keeping in Router Mode and putting the Orbi into DMZ from my router?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just depends on which router features you want to use or best suits your needs. Either mode will work. If you want to use the router features of the Orbi router then it would be recommended to use the DMZ on the main host router. Of course you can use your main host router and the orbi in AP mode. AP mode will not provide any of the router features since when in AP mode, those features aren't needed is all.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7