Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing the region of my RBW30?

paulgizmo
Follower

Changing the region of my RBW30?

Greetings, my very first post as I can't seem to find an answer here to my challenge of updating the WiFi region setting for a refurbished RBW30 (presumably NAS model but not labelled) to Australia (AU)?

The factory-default reset satellite has successfully sync'd with my RBR50 (V2.7.3.22), which is already configured for AU but checking the RBW30's own status webpage show's it as "United States"... Updated it to latest firmware available for the RBW30, V2.6.2.6 and I have access to telnet console but unable to find the often referred command "artmtd" but a "nvram show | grep -i region" shows  "region_num=0x000C" as a result... 

Any ideas?

Thanks-in-Advance!

Paul 🙂

Message 1 of 4
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: Changing the region of my RBW30?

I'd wiki the difference between US and Au regions - it may not be consequential if you don't live near a airport with weather radar - the main difference between regions. I presume the AC adapter is 110-240V (Au is 240V) and you used a travel adapter as Au has angled pins as opposed to the US parallel pins. 

Message 2 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello paulgizmo,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!

I understand that your RBW30 has been configured for the United States. RBW30 that have a region setting of the United States are unable to change their region settings.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @Jeffgear that the region displayed on the RBW30 web page may not be significant.

An interesting test* would be to set the 2.4G WiFi channel to 12 or 13 and see what the RBW30 does (and if devices can connect to it).

According to this Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels ) channels 12 and 13 are not available in North America, but are available in "Most of the World".  (Have not located a reference specific to Australia.)

If the 2.4G channel is set to 12 or 13, then a WiFi scanner, such as WiFiInfoView (Windows) or WiFi Analyzer (Android) should show the MAC address of the RBW30 satellite broadcasting on that channel.  In other words, the router settings would override the region setting in the satellite.

* A test because I am not confident that all WiFi devices are capable of using 12 and 13, especially if whatever engineer designed them had tunnel vision on the US market and failed to consider international use.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7