Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Choose APs or Orbi Satellite

jasonwong
Aspirant

Choose APs or Orbi Satellite

HI,

My friend just finished renovation on his house (1 basement and 2 story house, all used concrete, no wooden material).

Also, each story have been wired cat5e cables, so I wonder if using 1 router + APs or 1 router + satellites, which plan is good, please see below diagram?

diag1.jpgdiag2.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Choose APs or Orbi Satellite

@jasonwong wrote:

HI,

My friend just finished renovation on his house (1 basement and 2 story house, all used concrete, no wooden material).

Also, each story have been wired cat5e cables, so I wonder if using 1 router + APs or 1 router + satellites, which plan is good, please see below diagram?

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Did not get the question, do you mean with "1 router + APs" to use a router with wifi extenders?

If this is what you meant then -for sure- using a mesh wifi system like Orbi is much better than using extenders as you will have a uniform single SSID where the router and satellites do not disturb each other's radio signal and do not compete on bandwidth.

Please give more clarification if your meant otherwise with "AP's" 🙂

Message 2 of 5
jasonwong
Aspirant

Thanks your reply, what i mean is using router to connect ISP, others using Access Point with same SSID, I do not consider wifi extenders.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@jasonwong wrote:

Thanks your reply, what i mean is using router to connect ISP, others using Access Point with same SSID, I do not consider wifi extenders.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Three things to consider when compairing between using a router with additional APs or using a single mesh system:

1. Your budget: You need to compare how much a "good router" will cost together with a number of APs, compared to the price of a single a mesh system (with one, two, three, ... staellites).

2. Features that you will get from the target router compared to what you get from the mesh system. You need a good router if you want more features. You need to compare this with the features that you will get from the mesh system. Orbi provides you with quite good set of router features.

3. How comfortable you are with configuring a custom network using separate router and APs, compared to the ease of configuring a mesh system centrally.

I hope that this helps! 🙂

Message 4 of 5
jasonwong
Aspirant

thanks your reply, quick informative. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation