Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Choosing Network Band for Different Networks

jfra545365
Aspirant

Choosing Network Band for Different Networks

I have set up a Guest Network on the ORBI in order to use a network band of 2.4 Ghz, because I have some equipment that will only connect to a 2.4 Ghz band and not a 5.0 Ghz band.  Therefore, I want to designate the 2.4 Ghz channel as a default for my guest network and 5.0 Ghz channel as the default for my primary wireless network.

How do I do this in Settings?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't only enable Guest Network and turn it on. Everything is auto handled by the Orbi mesh system. 

Message 2 of 5
jfra545365
Aspirant

So can I designate the 2.4 Ghz band for the Guest Network?  (I just want to connect my device to the Guest Network on the 2.4Ghz band, the device will not connect to a 5.0 Ghz band)  Will my device find the 2.4 Ghz band on my Guest Network automatically?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@jfra545365 wrote:

So can I designate the 2.4 Ghz band for the Guest Network?  (I just want to connect my device to the Guest Network on the 2.4Ghz band, the device will not connect to a 5.0 Ghz band)  Will my device find the 2.4 Ghz band on my Guest Network automatically?

As @FURRYe38 said, Orbi broadcasts one WiFi name (SSID) on both 2.4G and 5G bands.  When a Guest network is activated, it also broadcasts on both 2.4G and 5G bands.  Conecting Internet of Things (IoT) devices which have only 2.4G radios is a frequent question on this forum.  Because the device can connect only at 2.4G, that's what it will do - either on the primary network or the guest network.

Some people have a problem when they purchase a device and the smartphone app that is supposed to set up the device is poorly written.  Instead of telling the device, "Use this SSID and this password", they attempt some shortcut that confuses the device.  A solution that many people have found satisfactory, is to temporariily stop broadcasting the 5G WiFi name.  Then, their smartphone will connect at 2.4G, will setup the device correctly, and "it works."  Then, they start broadcasting the 5G WiFi again and everybody is happy.

People also become needlessly concerned when they read "must have 2.4G" and think, "oh, it's not going to work, I have to do something to the Orbi."  In my case, I just ignored that message, used the smartphone app, and my devices connected just fine.  If some day a device will not connect, I will use the trick of stopping the 5G signal for a few minutes.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your device only supports 2.4Ghz then the device will only connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. Automatically. 

@jfra545365 wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7