Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromebook constantly switching between satellite and router

toddly34
Aspirant

Chromebook constantly switching between satellite and router

I have a Chromebook that is about 10 feet from an Orbi satellite with no obstructions. It keeps dropping its connection to the satellite, switching to the Orbi router which is much further away. I am finding that the signal to either is fine as long as it stays connected, it's the switching back and forth that causes a loss of internet for several seconds which is unacceptable for zoom/video calls. If I disconnect the Chromebook from the network (when connected to the router) and reconnect, it will connect to the satellite again, but eventually it drops the satellite connection and reconnects to the router. It will sometimes hold the connection to the satellite for several minutes, sometimes only a few seconds. The satellite signal seems consistently strong in the location where the Chromebook in question is located (-40@2.4 GHz, -50@5 GHz), while the router signal is weaker (-70@2.4 GHz, -80@5 GHz), but again, I'm only seeing a problem when it switches between the two.  The chromebook is almost always using 5 GHz. The satellite is on the 2nd floor of my home while the router is on the 1st floor, so it's hard to know how far apart they are, but I'm estimating it's no more than 15 feet (although yes, through the floor/ceiling and a wall). Why is the connection to the satellite so unstable? What can I do to improve it? I've already done all the textbook troubleshooting tasks - rebooting all the Orbi nodes, rebooting the Chromebook, disconnecting/reconnecting, factory resets, firmware checks (I'm on the latest, 2.5.1.16 on both router and satellite).

Additional things I have tried:  Changing 2.4GHz channel from Auto to 11 (did not help).  Decreasing the Transmit Power Control on the router - I tried 75%/50% for 5GHz/2.4GHz (did not help) and 50%/25% - this seemed to help the chromebook in question but made the signal too weak in the rest of the house for everything else.  Disabled daisy chain topology (did not help).

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
toddly34
Aspirant

Re: Chromebook constantly switching between satellite and router

Additional note - I filed an email support case (43497720) to which I received one reply after 4 days and there has been radio silence in the 2 weeks since I replied to the analyst's questions.  I know I should just get support on the phone but I am reluctant to lose what I'm guessing will be multiple hours either on hold or going through all the basic stuff I've already tried.

I am still within the return period and am strongly considering just returning the product.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 3 of 7
toddly34
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  2.5.1.16, as indicated in my initial post
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Netgear CM500
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  ~2200 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite
My original post indicated I am estimating the distance at about 15 feet, through ceilings and floors.  I will try moving it further away to see if that helps.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.  I changed the 2.4 GHz channel from Auto to 11, as indicated in my original post

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  I see lots of neighbors' networks (10 or more depending on my location).  I have checked channel interference and tried to pick the best channels.

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings  I will try enabling implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO.  WMM is enabled by default.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings  I tried that, as indicated in my original post.  I'll play with it again.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

15 feet is too close. 

Let us know if the suggestions help as well...

Message 5 of 7
toddly34
Aspirant

My estimate of my original location for my satellite was 15 feet from the router, through a floor/ceiling and some walls.  I tried moving it further away (estimating 19 feet, still through the floor/ceiling and now more walls), but now the Orbi app shows an orange dot next to the satellite on the network map, and the router's "attached devices" page shows the backhaul status as "poor".  I'm assuming that means its connection to the router is sub-optimal and this is too far away (yes, at 19 feet).

Wouldn't the signal strength of the router at a given point be a better indicator of proper placement than distance?  IOW, 30 ft with no obstructions is very different than 30 feet through brick walls, right?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if you have brick walls then you'll have to adjust as well for that. Brick will impact signal.

So try turning down the power output of the RBR to help keep the book connected to the RBS if your near the RBS. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7