Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromecast cannot connect to Orbi RBK 13

Mustyging
Tutor

Chromecast cannot connect to Orbi RBK 13

I bought an Orbi RBK13 (RBR10 + 2xRBS10) and I have gotten all of my devices to connect except for my two V2 Chromecasts. I tried unplugging the satellites thinking that there maybe an issue of them being to close to the router but that still did not work. I saw some other post of people having issues with chromecast and tried those solutions but no luck there either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Frimware is v2.3.6.18 (up to date)

My current settings are:

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast (enabled)
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence (disabled)
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (enabled)
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) (2347)
Preamble Mode (Automatic) 
Transmit Power Control (100%) 

Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)
Enable SSID Broadcast (enabled)
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (enabled)
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) (2347)
Preamble Mode (Automatic) 
Transmit Power Control (100%) 

Backhaul Topology
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology (enabled)

Backhaul Password
Orbi can generate a new hidden password to improve security for its backhaul connection.
WARNING: Generating a new password might cause the Orbi satellite to lose connection from the Orbi router. To reconnect, use the Sync button.     

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices (disabled)
Enable MU-MIMO (disabled)
Enable Fast Roaming (disabled)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Mustyging
Tutor

Re: Chromecast cannot connect to Orbi RBK 13

WPA and TKIP should work with it.I tried with Daisy chain enabled and disabled and it did not work. Interestly I tried to enable guest access and log into the guest network with the same securty and password (I set the guest network up the same as the normal network) and it connected fine and I can cast from other devices. No idea why it works but its working now. Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 !

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you tempoarily disable WPA on the RBR. Try to connect the devices to the open SSID name? 

Then re-enable WPA2 and AES only on the RBR then try to re-connect the devices to the SSID name and input the PW. 

Message 2 of 6
Mustyging
Tutor

So when the network is open the chromecast can connect. I switched it back to WPA2-PSK [AES] and put in a password and it fails to connect. This is the same securty and password I had on my old router and that worked just fine. Obviously I can't leave my wifi without a password so any idea whats going on? Also thanks for responding!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Does WPA1 and TPIK work with the device?

Is Dasiy chaing enabled on the RBR by chance? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-doesn-t-work-with-Chromecast-Please-help/m-p/1652882/high...

Message 4 of 6
Mustyging
Tutor

WPA and TKIP should work with it.I tried with Daisy chain enabled and disabled and it did not work. Interestly I tried to enable guest access and log into the guest network with the same securty and password (I set the guest network up the same as the normal network) and it connected fine and I can cast from other devices. No idea why it works but its working now. Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 !

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, thats crazy huh? 

What happens if you disable Guest network? Just curious if it will connect to the main wifi after this. 

Glad you got it working. Odd process to get those working. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7