Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Chromecast not connecting to 5ghz band

Flausfsu
Tutor

Chromecast not connecting to 5ghz band

I recently purchase an RB50 setup with 1 satelite. Quite honestly, I’m less than impressed. I’ve had more dropped connections and resets in the last week than 3 years with my nighthawk. Im hopeful to get some support from NETGEAR here, as I want to believe in the promise of Orbi (plus, I want to avoid running Cat6 in winter)!

On my Network, I have a Chromecast ultra that cannot seem to negotiate properly with Orbi to connect to the 5GHz band. It ALWAYS sticks to the 2.4GHz. Any ideas here? This is also happening to my 1st gen Chromecast. These are located about 10ft through a wall from the main Orbi router (not satellite) so signal is strong. Any help would be VERY appreciated so I don’t have to return my Orbi system and pick up Eero.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What firmware version are you on? Have you enabled beamforming and MUMIMO?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

Thanks for the reponse, Darren!!

1) V2.0.0.74 (tried to update FW, but was not available when I searched via GUI, skeptical due to multiple posts about increased issues)

2) Yes, both are enabled

* I've also disabled Daisy-Chain Topology since I only have 1 satelitte. 

In doing some more experimentation today (because signal dropped 4x before 2pm today), I used a wifi analyzer app on my laptop to see the local channel congestion. While I do live a pretty good distance from my neighbors, I can register signal from about 3 other wifi networks. I also noticied that the 2 chromecasts I have were broadcasting 2.4GHz wifi networks on the same channel as the Orbi 2.4GHz network. I reallocated the 2.4GHz Orbi band to an uncongested channel, and will see how that affects performance with signal drops.

Despite doing so, my Chromecasts still only connect to the 2.4GHz despite very good 5GHz signal from the Orbi in those locations.

Message 3 of 13
godspeed
Apprentice

FYI, I don't think Gen 1 Chromecast supports the 5 ghz band.  2nd Gen and Ultra should though.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

You are absolutely correct, just confirmed. My apologes! Thats not too big of a deal for me personally, as that chromecast is connected to a 720P TV in the garage (shared wall with the office, where Router is). My main concern is the Chromecast Ultra which is connected to an LG OLED 4K HDR, and streaming Dolby Vision is a necessity 🙂

Any ideas from Netgear support? Is there a profile label I should assign to the Chromecast to get it to steer it to the correct band? Or is this a Chomecast issue that NetGear/Google need to collaborate on?

Message 5 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

So nothing from the Netgear Support team? I guess they aren't interested in helping?

Message 6 of 13
Hydro130
Luminary

No matter what routing system you use, it's always up to each device to decide what band it wants to connect to.

I have 5 Google Homes and one Chromecast-enabled soundbar.  When I reboot my Orbi, I sometimes notice that some of those devices initially latch on to 2.4, but after a few minutes or so, they will all migrate to & settle down on the 5G band on the nearest Orbi (router or sat).

I have a router and just one sat.  My MUMIMO, Beamforming, Fast Transition, UPnP, and Daisy Chaining are ALL disabled

I also keep my 2.4 Tx power set to 25%, since I only have a few 2.4-only devices and they are all conveniently close to my router.

Message 7 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

So I created a ticket with the Netgear support team, and here was their suggestion: DISABLE THE 2.4GHZ BAND ENTIRELY!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! What an insane idea for a dang near $400 router system.

Message 8 of 13
Hydro130
Luminary

@Flausfsu wrote:

So I created a ticket with the Netgear support team, and here was their suggestion: DISABLE THE 2.4GHZ BAND ENTIRELY!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! What an insane idea for a dang near $400 router system.

It's not possible to to completely disable 2.4, but you can manage the overall transmisssion level (Tx) for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz... 

I'm not at home right bow, so I'm not able to recall exact details, but I believe these settings are manged from the "Wireless" settings section in the GUI - the available options aren't very robust - just 100%, 75%, or 25% (if I recall correctly).

I keep my 5Ghz network at 100% Tx, but I reduce my 2.4 down to 25%.  25% still provides plently of reach for my 2.4-only devices, and I feel that lower setting helps reduce the likelihood of my other devices from "clinging" to 2.4 (instead of eventually settling down on 5G where I want them).

As I mentioned above, I keep my MUMIMO, Beamforming, Fast Roaming, UPnP, and Daisy-Chain options all disabled.

This combination of settings has worked very very well for me in recent months - all of my devices consistently connect on the desired band (2.4 vs 5) and also the desired device (router vs sat). I have not had any disconnectt issues, and my wifi-calling (which I'm very dependent on!) has been working great.

Message 9 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Oddly, this morning when I did the firmware update, the Chromecast connected to the 5GHz band...it has since settled back onto the 2.4GHz band but the TV its connected to (LG OLED) is on the 5GHz band. So frustrating.

May I ask the size of your house and number of levels? I think setting the transmission down to 25% on the 2.4GHz band could help, but I'm concerned with reach/throughput outside on my deck. 

Message 10 of 13
Hydro130
Luminary

My house isn't very big, but it's 3 levels and has pretty thick plaster walls (older house).  My Orbi router is in a basement corner (where cable drop is) and my only satellite is on my main/middle level -- I'd estimate there's about only ~20 feet distance between them, but also a the floor and couple of those plaster walls too.  I rely on Orbi's wireless backhaul between them, since I do not have any easy option to put ethernet bewteen those two locations

According to my admin page GUI, the wireless connection between my router and sat is "Good".

Try experimenting with reducing that 2.4 Tx setting...  As long as any 2.4-only devices you may have can still connect, it may help reduce the tempation for your other 5G-capable devices to stick to that 2.4 band.

Message 11 of 13
Flausfsu
Tutor

Ok thanks. We moved into a new house which is much bigger (and newer) than our previous home, which is why we went with Orbi. We had similar plaster walls in our previous home, but the new one is more recently constructed to standard drywall/joists.

I enabled all the settings as you have above, and the Chromecast now connects to the 5GHz band.....oddly, the same TV its connected to that was on the 5GHz band before the changes is now on the 2.4 band......ARGGGH

Message 12 of 13
Hydro130
Luminary

Give it some time to for things to settle down - my devices usually sort themselves out pretty fast, but it may take 30 minutes or longer for the network and devices to all settle in.

Devices usually grab the first routing device and band they "see" (often the router itself, since that tends to boot up first, and often the 2.4 band since that also seems to initially have the farthest reach).

But given a bit of time, devices should eventually settle down on the nearest device (router vs sta) and the best band (2.4 or 5).  But that process can take a while, depending on the size and breadth of your overall network...  I've heard some folks even recommend waiting a day to let it all settle.

It's kind of like a crowd of people rushing into a room.  Yeah, everyone gets in there initially but it's kind of a mess, yet given some time, everyone settles down in their own little space.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7