Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cinstant Canary device disconnects

NetOrb
Aspirant

Cinstant Canary device disconnects

I have 4 Canary devices (all within good range of the Orbi units) and they are constantly disconnecting from my Orbi RBR20 and satellites (RBS20 and RBS50).  All of my other 2.4 devices stay connected.  The disconnect time is usually about +/- 2 minutes.  Is there a setting that I can make on the RBR20 to stop this madness?  It happens multiple times a day, but hardly at night.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cinstant Canary device disconnects

@NetOrb wrote:

I have 4 Canary devices (all within good range of the Orbi units) and they are constantly disconnecting from my Orbi RBR20 and satellites (RBS20 and RBS50).  All of my other 2.4 devices stay connected.  The disconnect time is usually about +/- 2 minutes.  Is there a setting that I can make on the RBR20 to stop this madness?  It happens multiple times a day, but hardly at night.

can you please describe the symptoms of this disconnection?  i.e. how do you find out about it?

Message 2 of 8
NetOrb
Aspirant

Re: Constant Canary device disconnects

Each of the Canary devices will go offline at random times.  Occasionally, 2 devices will be offline.  After a period of about 1 or 2 minutes offline, the device will come back online.  Nothing else is being done internet-wise during those times that would affect the connection.  Other devices (laptops, etc) remain online during the times when the Canary devices drop off. The occurrences happen more in the late morning hours than later in the day.  Rarely does it happen late at night.  The morning starts with one or more devices dropping off about 7 to 8 AM.  Thanks for the reply to the issue.

Message 3 of 8
NetOrb
Aspirant

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you look in the Orbi log and see if the Canary cameras get IP addresses using DHCP when they drop WiFi?

Orbi web interface->Advanced Tab->Administration->Logs.  Should be an entry like this:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.12] to MAC address cc:a1:2b:9c:xx:xx, Sunday, January 17, 2021 12:12:20
Message 5 of 8
NetOrb
Aspirant

Yes on the DHCP activity.  I don't remember the exact times of the dropoffs today, but the IP numbers associated with my Canary devices are listed in the log.  I can keep a log of future dropoff times versus the log and see if there is a correlation.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Do Canary cameras have an option for "automatic reboot"?  (I know some of my [other brand] cameras do. I have them set for 2am on Sunday.)

Message 7 of 8
NetOrb
Aspirant

I'll check on the reboot question.  Surprisingly, there have been no Canary cameras going offline today. I can't remember a day when at least one of them did not drop offline.  The only thing I have done on the Router interface is check the logs.  There has been DHCP activity on each of the cameras at different times, but I have received no "offline" alerts from Canary.  I'll continue to monitor the situation and take note of offline times versus log entries if they occur again..  Thank you for replying to my request for assistance.  If the problem returns, I'll make another forum entry on this topic's site.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7