Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combine an ORBI Router + Satellite (RBR50 - RBS50) with ORBI RBR20

NamHong
Aspirant

Combine an ORBI Router + Satellite (RBR50 - RBS50) with ORBI RBR20

I have ORBI Router + Satellite (RBR50 - RBS50) which currently in use and I will have an Orbi RBR20 as a gift. Can I connect Orbi RBR20 to my current system (RBR50 + RBS50) to work as a satellite ?

If compoatible, what are the steps to add the two new devices?

What will be advantages and disavantages of this combination ?

Thanks so much !

Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

The RBR20 can NOT be used as a satellite in your current RBK50 configuration.

If you want to use it in your current network, then the best you can get is to add it as a wired AP connected with Ethernet to the router or satellite and using different radio bands than the current network. This way you are not expanding your mesh network, but only adding an "external" AP to improve radio in some areas.

If you use the same SSID in the new AP as the one currently used in your network then expect some devices to not be able to correctly handle handover between the networks. Only devices that support latest roaming standards will be able to correctly roam between the two networks.

I would sell it and buy a satellite to improve your mesh network instead.

Message 2 of 4
NamHong
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your advice.

Where can I find any docs on which series of satellites can work with RBR50 Router beside RBS50 ? 

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@NamHong wrote:

Where can I find any docs on which series of satellites can work with RBR50 Router beside RBS50 ? 

The following Satellite models can work well with an RBR50 Router:

1. AC3000 RBS50

2. AC3000 RBS50Y (Outdoor Satellite)

3. AC22000 RBS20 or RBS40

4. AC2200 RBS40V (RBS40 with integrated Amazon Echo)

Please read more here: https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7